Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Security > Getting "The Page cannot be displayed" on some machines but not others with ASP.NET pages

Getting "The Page cannot be displayed" on some machines but not others with ASP.NET pages

R. G.

I have three ASP.NET applications running with the following
configuration on a Windows XP Pro machine running IIS 5.1:

web.config -
<identity impersonate="true" />
<authentication mode="Windows" />

IIS Security Settings -
-"Anonymous access" is UNCHECKED
-"Digest authentication for Windows domain servers" is CHECKED
-"Basic authentication (password is sent in clear text)" is UNCHECKED
-"Integrated Windows authentication" is CHECKED

The reason I am not using "Anonymous access" and why I have "identity
impersonate" set to true is because my program grants access to
certain areas of the application based on the username of the person
currently logged into the computer accessing my application. All
potential users of my program are logged in to the Active Directory
domain using Windows XP Pro machines and Internet Explorer.

My applications run perfectly on most of the machines, but on a few
machines (including a Windows Server 2003, a Windows Terminal Server,
and the host machine curiously enough), users receive "The Page cannot
be displayed" when attempting to access these applications. These
users are able to access other ASP.NET applications I have running on
the same box that have "Anonymous access" checked without "identity
impersonate" set to true without any problems.

I assume there must be some IE setting or some other setting on these
machines that is not allowing these machines to access these pages.

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

-Rosendo

M. Zeeshan Mustafa

Rosendo,

It looks like there is a network/settings' issue. What exactly
your users see? They just receive 'page cannot be displayed'
error? A little detail would be helpful to help.

--
Hope this helps,
Zeeshan Mustafa, MCSD

"R. G." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> I have three ASP.NET applications running with the following
> configuration on a Windows XP Pro machine running IIS 5.1:
>
> web.config -
> <identity impersonate="true" />
> <authentication mode="Windows" />
>
> IIS Security Settings -
> -"Anonymous access" is UNCHECKED
> -"Digest authentication for Windows domain servers" is CHECKED
> -"Basic authentication (password is sent in clear text)" is UNCHECKED
> -"Integrated Windows authentication" is CHECKED
>
> The reason I am not using "Anonymous access" and why I have "identity
> impersonate" set to true is because my program grants access to
> certain areas of the application based on the username of the person
> currently logged into the computer accessing my application. All
> potential users of my program are logged in to the Active Directory
> domain using Windows XP Pro machines and Internet Explorer.
>
> My applications run perfectly on most of the machines, but on a few
> machines (including a Windows Server 2003, a Windows Terminal Server,
> and the host machine curiously enough), users receive "The Page cannot
> be displayed" when attempting to access these applications. These
> users are able to access other ASP.NET applications I have running on
> the same box that have "Anonymous access" checked without "identity
> impersonate" set to true without any problems.
>
> I assume there must be some IE setting or some other setting on these
> machines that is not allowing these machines to access these pages.
>
> Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
>
> -Rosendo

R. G.

Yes, the users get a local standard "The Page cannot be displayed"
page that normally comes up when the browser can not find a web page,
like when the Internet connection is down. Like I said, its just on
these few machines. I was hoping someone would know what network
settings I should check first because I have no idea where to even
begin. The browser settings are identical across the machines, so it
must be some other more obscure settings.