Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Am I Just a Big Sook?

Reply
Thread Tools

Am I Just a Big Sook?

 
 
spamfurnace
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-24-2004
Hi All,

This thread may be a bit off topic and i apologise in advance to those
newsgroups purists out there. But i wanted a little feed back from others in
the same game as me. Below is my email of complaint regarding some service
or lack thereof that i received from my a hosting service we just signed up
too. Beneath that is the transcript of our conversation. If your a busy bee
then stop reading now... its just me having a moan.

I was feeling really good about this team, on every level until i
encountered this guy, Peter. I just wanted to know if you all think im a big
sook over this, is it just the net and lack of body language, or was this
guys really trying to pull my chain?

Cheers
Richard

* At the very least, i can see why we have hosting partners on ASP.Net site
now.

************************************************** **************************
*****

Below is my conversation with Peter, one of your customer service reps.
I felt he was deliberately difficult. i figured my query would be answered
in 30 secs flat.

I figured it out myself, after our conversation. I just created a bin
folder, and the .net dll was found automatically fortunately read access was
prevented on this folder by default so no one could download my .dlls.
..
I was checking with your *support* staff because having selected aspnet for
this account and not finding the neccessary folders installed, i figured you
all did things a little differently.

I am also dismayed that i have choosen a web hosting provider who cannot
support me on even simple dotnet issues. Note im not asking how to code in
dot net, i was simply making a very basic enquiry as to its installation on
YOUR servers.

*Why didn't i get a pop box after this conversation? I didn't have any
opportunity to comment on what i felt was someone being deliberately
difficult? Why was i treated like this?

I note that after receiving excellent levels of customer service from the
likes of Elizier, who happened to be the one who signed us up, I received
pop boxes asking me to comment on the service.

My impressions of this conversation were only reinforced when i did not
receive that same opportunity after the poor service i received from Peter.
I felt like i was conversing with a some smart alec 15 year old in the
middle of some kind of sulk.

Peter you have completely taken the shine off my experience to date with
Host Department. The good work and setup of your peers has been needlessly
undermined by you. What a bummer!



************************************************** **************************
************************ While waiting you might want to review our
Knowledge Base. If you are having problem with your mail service, please
view our mail service update here. Also please review our current network
status page. Just in case your problem is already being taken care of by our
team.

You are now chatting with 'Peter'
Peter: Hello! Welcome to HostDepartment Live Chat Service. How may I help
you?

* 5 minutes go bye after my inital message into your text box, Peter didn't
answer although clearly he had seen my enquiry *

Richard: Hello?
Peter: Hello Sir
Richard: Did my message dissappear?
Peter: yes, may I know why you tried dropping the .dll into cgi bin?

Richard: On other hosters they have adedicatd bin directory for the dll's,
there wasn;t one there so i figured your system may be set for cgi-bin?
Richard: Obviously not though because it still could n't find it.
Peter: adedicatd bin directory for the dll's?
Peter: you mean dedicated?
Richard: yes.
Peter: we have dedicated cgi bin directory
Peter: as you can see if you ftp to the server
Richard: Thank you. I know that because as I said above i tried to my .net
dll in there.
Richard: Where do i put my .net dlls so they will recognised Peter?
Peter: is it your own asp component?

Richard: Yup. HelloWorld.
Peter: ok, in order to register any custom dll component, you can send it to
me
Peter: my email is http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
Peter: I will forward it to our admin
Peter: and he will install it for you

Richard: Hmmm. That doesn;t make sense.
Richard: Why all the handling.
Richard: You guys are set up for asp.net right?
Peter: is it .aspx file or .dll file?
Richard: It's the .dll for the .aspx file.
Richard: Do you know much about dotnet?
Peter: no, I'm java programmer not .net programmer
Richard: Okey dokey.
Peter: as I know, all our client send us the dll file to be registered
Peter: so that they can use it for their asp page

Richard: With dotnet the .dll is part of the page.
Richard: In dotnet you create a code behind file that separates your script
from your html/markup.
Richard: This allows separation of functions between developers and web
designers
Richard: you compile the script into a .dll
Richard: this .dll is then compiled on the fly
Peter: it is multitier programming right
Richard: Is there anyone else there that programs in dot net Peter?
Peter: yes

Peter: one of our admin
Peter: but he is not here
Richard: So none of your support staff, know anytihng about dotnet?
Peter: next shift will be handled by php programmer
Peter: support staff who knows ,net will be here on Monday *3 days away*

Richard: So how long does it take for your admin to install .dlls?
Peter: it depends on him since we can only forward it to him
Richard: How long does it geenrally take then?
Peter: I will let you know once he has installed it ok
Peter: so that you can check it
Richard: That would be great.. but how long would that be?
Richard: I need to know what the turn around time is going to be evey time i
update my code?
Peter: as I said Sir, you will know it from my email
Richard: Is the admin there right now?
Richard: Are we talking 5-10minutes, a couple hours, a day?
Peter: we are here 24/7
Richard: Great so do you think it will be 5-10 minutes, a couple of hours or
a day before my .dll is installed?
Peter: please be patient Sir since our admin is handling problem from other
client as well
Peter: make sure you have sent the dll to me and I will forward it to him
Peter: so that your request will be on his hobs queue
Peter: *jobs
Richard: Peter im asking for an approximation of the time it will take
before i can use my site. Can you give me one please?
Peter: I don't know our admin's job queue
Peter: so that I can't give you approximate time
Peter: as I said above, you will know it fro my email
Peter: *from

* In disbelief at this point *

Richard: O.k I have emailed you the .dll. Can you confirm receipt?
Peter: yes, it's MyTestApp.dll right
Richard: Thats it.
Peter: ok
Peter: I will forward it to admin now
Richard: I will await your email.
Richard: Over and out.

* All he had to do, was tell me to create a bin folder, Its been 90mins and
still no mail from him.*
Good job, im not reliant on his *support* aey?


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Eric Biggs
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-24-2004
I don't know, I think you might be being too hard on Peter. This seems like
it's more of a problem of the organization having a java tech support
answering .net support queries. Peter did as much as he could given his
knowledge. I'd say a more productive approach would be to not spam an
unrelated newsgroup with your complaints but to write Peter an e-mail
explaining to him what the simple solution is, and an email to your host
asking them why they are understaffed on people qualified to handle .net
support.

"spamfurnace" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi All,
>
> This thread may be a bit off topic and i apologise in advance to those
> newsgroups purists out there. But i wanted a little feed back from others

in
> the same game as me. Below is my email of complaint regarding some service
> or lack thereof that i received from my a hosting service we just signed

up
> too. Beneath that is the transcript of our conversation. If your a busy

bee
> then stop reading now... its just me having a moan.
>
> I was feeling really good about this team, on every level until i
> encountered this guy, Peter. I just wanted to know if you all think im a

big
> sook over this, is it just the net and lack of body language, or was this
> guys really trying to pull my chain?
>
> Cheers
> Richard
>
> * At the very least, i can see why we have hosting partners on ASP.Net

site
> now.
>
>

************************************************** **************************
> *****
>
> Below is my conversation with Peter, one of your customer service reps.
> I felt he was deliberately difficult. i figured my query would be answered
> in 30 secs flat.
>
> I figured it out myself, after our conversation. I just created a bin
> folder, and the .net dll was found automatically fortunately read access

was
> prevented on this folder by default so no one could download my .dlls.
> .
> I was checking with your *support* staff because having selected aspnet

for
> this account and not finding the neccessary folders installed, i figured

you
> all did things a little differently.
>
> I am also dismayed that i have choosen a web hosting provider who cannot
> support me on even simple dotnet issues. Note im not asking how to code in
> dot net, i was simply making a very basic enquiry as to its installation

on
> YOUR servers.
>
> *Why didn't i get a pop box after this conversation? I didn't have any
> opportunity to comment on what i felt was someone being deliberately
> difficult? Why was i treated like this?
>
> I note that after receiving excellent levels of customer service from the
> likes of Elizier, who happened to be the one who signed us up, I received
> pop boxes asking me to comment on the service.
>
> My impressions of this conversation were only reinforced when i did not
> receive that same opportunity after the poor service i received from

Peter.
> I felt like i was conversing with a some smart alec 15 year old in the
> middle of some kind of sulk.
>
> Peter you have completely taken the shine off my experience to date with
> Host Department. The good work and setup of your peers has been needlessly
> undermined by you. What a bummer!
>
>
>
>

************************************************** **************************
> ************************ While waiting you might want to review our
> Knowledge Base. If you are having problem with your mail service, please
> view our mail service update here. Also please review our current network
> status page. Just in case your problem is already being taken care of by

our
> team.
>
> You are now chatting with 'Peter'
> Peter: Hello! Welcome to HostDepartment Live Chat Service. How may I help
> you?
>
> * 5 minutes go bye after my inital message into your text box, Peter

didn't
> answer although clearly he had seen my enquiry *
>
> Richard: Hello?
> Peter: Hello Sir
> Richard: Did my message dissappear?
> Peter: yes, may I know why you tried dropping the .dll into cgi bin?
>
> Richard: On other hosters they have adedicatd bin directory for the dll's,
> there wasn;t one there so i figured your system may be set for cgi-bin?
> Richard: Obviously not though because it still could n't find it.
> Peter: adedicatd bin directory for the dll's?
> Peter: you mean dedicated?
> Richard: yes.
> Peter: we have dedicated cgi bin directory
> Peter: as you can see if you ftp to the server
> Richard: Thank you. I know that because as I said above i tried to my .net
> dll in there.
> Richard: Where do i put my .net dlls so they will recognised Peter?
> Peter: is it your own asp component?
>
> Richard: Yup. HelloWorld.
> Peter: ok, in order to register any custom dll component, you can send it

to
> me
> Peter: my email is (E-Mail Removed)
> Peter: I will forward it to our admin
> Peter: and he will install it for you
>
> Richard: Hmmm. That doesn;t make sense.
> Richard: Why all the handling.
> Richard: You guys are set up for asp.net right?
> Peter: is it .aspx file or .dll file?
> Richard: It's the .dll for the .aspx file.
> Richard: Do you know much about dotnet?
> Peter: no, I'm java programmer not .net programmer
> Richard: Okey dokey.
> Peter: as I know, all our client send us the dll file to be registered
> Peter: so that they can use it for their asp page
>
> Richard: With dotnet the .dll is part of the page.
> Richard: In dotnet you create a code behind file that separates your

script
> from your html/markup.
> Richard: This allows separation of functions between developers and web
> designers
> Richard: you compile the script into a .dll
> Richard: this .dll is then compiled on the fly
> Peter: it is multitier programming right
> Richard: Is there anyone else there that programs in dot net Peter?
> Peter: yes
>
> Peter: one of our admin
> Peter: but he is not here
> Richard: So none of your support staff, know anytihng about dotnet?
> Peter: next shift will be handled by php programmer
> Peter: support staff who knows ,net will be here on Monday *3 days away*
>
> Richard: So how long does it take for your admin to install .dlls?
> Peter: it depends on him since we can only forward it to him
> Richard: How long does it geenrally take then?
> Peter: I will let you know once he has installed it ok
> Peter: so that you can check it
> Richard: That would be great.. but how long would that be?
> Richard: I need to know what the turn around time is going to be evey time

i
> update my code?
> Peter: as I said Sir, you will know it from my email
> Richard: Is the admin there right now?
> Richard: Are we talking 5-10minutes, a couple hours, a day?
> Peter: we are here 24/7
> Richard: Great so do you think it will be 5-10 minutes, a couple of hours

or
> a day before my .dll is installed?
> Peter: please be patient Sir since our admin is handling problem from

other
> client as well
> Peter: make sure you have sent the dll to me and I will forward it to him
> Peter: so that your request will be on his hobs queue
> Peter: *jobs
> Richard: Peter im asking for an approximation of the time it will take
> before i can use my site. Can you give me one please?
> Peter: I don't know our admin's job queue
> Peter: so that I can't give you approximate time
> Peter: as I said above, you will know it fro my email
> Peter: *from
>
> * In disbelief at this point *
>
> Richard: O.k I have emailed you the .dll. Can you confirm receipt?
> Peter: yes, it's MyTestApp.dll right
> Richard: Thats it.
> Peter: ok
> Peter: I will forward it to admin now
> Richard: I will await your email.
> Richard: Over and out.
>
> * All he had to do, was tell me to create a bin folder, Its been 90mins

and
> still no mail from him.*
> Good job, im not reliant on his *support* aey?
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
spamfurnace
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-24-2004

"Eric Biggs" <e> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I don't know, I think you might be being too hard on Peter. This seems

like
> it's more of a problem of the organization having a java tech support
> answering .net support queries. Peter did as much as he could given his
> knowledge. I'd say a more productive approach would be to not spam an
> unrelated newsgroup with your complaints but to write Peter an e-mail
> explaining to him what the simple solution is, and an email to your host
> asking them why they are understaffed on people qualified to handle .net
> support.
>



Hmm, good points. I had already done both of these things, and received no
response from the organisation.
As for unrelated spam. I didn't think it was. This is the asp.net newsgroup,
as far as im aware there are no asp.net hosting forums... so i figured if i
was going looking for good hosting partners and plans this might be one
place i'd start by asking around about service levels etc.

This was my experience with such a host. If anyone is looking for an asp.net
hoster, ask for a trial account before you shift your domains. Dont just
believe what their marketing html tells you about QoS.

Richard


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
GIDS 2009 .Net:: Save Big, Win Big, Learn Big: Act Before Dec 29 2008 Shaguf ASP .Net 0 12-26-2008 09:29 AM
GIDS 2009 .Net:: Save Big, Win Big, Learn Big: Act Before Dec 29 2008 Shaguf ASP .Net Web Controls 0 12-26-2008 06:11 AM
GIDS 2009 Java:: Save Big, Win Big, Learn Big: Act Before Dec 29 2008 Shaguf Python 0 12-24-2008 07:35 AM
GIDS 2009 Java:: Save Big, Win Big, Learn Big: Act Before Dec 29 2008 Shaguf Ruby 0 12-24-2008 05:07 AM
Big JARs = Big Problems? kk_oop@yahoo.com Java 11 09-18-2005 05:54 PM



Advertisments