Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Security > Beginners question: Form based authentication

Beginners question: Form based authentication

Oliver Kharraz

Hello,

the following question may be trivial, but after scrolling documentations on
my screen for hours I'd absolutely appreciate your help:

I want to have two kind of pages on my site: the ones everyone can access
(allow users="*" in the web.config) and those that require forms based
authentication (allow users="?" in the web config). How do I set it up so
that the IIS knows which page uses which setting? In the Visual Basic. net
documentation, it says it can be done page specific, but does not give an
example.

Thank you so much,

Oliver

Eric Marvets

Choose whichever section will have more pages. For that section, set up the
config file as you normally would. After the normal '</system.web>' add the
following for each page:

<location path="Logon.aspx">
<system.web>
<authorization>
<allow users="?"/>
</authorization>
</system.web>
</location>

In there, you can specify all the <system.web> settings again for that page.

It is better to configure this by directory, as setting up a <location> for
a number of pages can be difficult to maintain, vs. one web.config file per
subdirectory.

--
Eric Marvets
Principal Consultant