Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Security > accessing remote OLAP cube through WSS cause an error...

accessing remote OLAP cube through WSS cause an error...

Jéjé

Hi,

I receive this error when I try to access an olap cube with the DSPanel web
part:
No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused

this error appear only when I access my server remotly and if the NT
authentication is activated.

if I use the clear/text authentication, all works fine or if I use the NT
authentication and access the server locally (http://localhost)
then all works fine!!!

But I suspect I've the same problem out of WSS because some times I have
some problem to access remote ressources.
My WSS Web server is Windows 2003; my OLAP server is Windows 2000 server; my
DC is a SBS 2003 on a third server.

So, I'm not sure if the problem is at the WSS level, the ASP.NET level, at
the IIS level or at the network config himself!

any idea?

thanks.

Jerome.

Andrea D'Onofrio [MSFT]

You are experiencing the "double hop" problem with IIS and ntlm
authentication.
The only way to correctly pass the authentication token from IIS to the OLAP
server is to enable and use Kerberos authentication.
You'll find more infos at:

HtH,
Andrea

"Jéjé" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> I receive this error when I try to access an olap cube with the DSPanel

web
> part:
> No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused
>
> this error appear only when I access my server remotly and if the NT
> authentication is activated.
>
> if I use the clear/text authentication, all works fine or if I use the NT
> authentication and access the server locally (http://localhost)
> then all works fine!!!
>
> But I suspect I've the same problem out of WSS because some times I have
> some problem to access remote ressources.
> My WSS Web server is Windows 2003; my OLAP server is Windows 2000 server;

my
> DC is a SBS 2003 on a third server.
>
> So, I'm not sure if the problem is at the WSS level, the ASP.NET level, at
> the IIS level or at the network config himself!
>
> any idea?
>
> thanks.
>
> Jerome.

Jéjé

Well, for a companent I've found the solution.
I've added the component (which call my OLAP cube) in COM+ on my web server
and then all works fine.

I'll test other similar components to see if I'll have the same problem or
if all will be solved.

"Andrea D'Onofrio [MSFT]" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le
message de news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> You are experiencing the "double hop" problem with IIS and ntlm
> authentication.
> The only way to correctly pass the authentication token from IIS to the

OLAP
> server is to enable and use Kerberos authentication.
> You'll find more infos at:
>
> HtH,
> Andrea

rights.

> "Jéjé" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi,
> >
> > I receive this error when I try to access an olap cube with the DSPanel

> web
> > part:
> > No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused
> >
> > this error appear only when I access my server remotly and if the NT
> > authentication is activated.
> >
> > if I use the clear/text authentication, all works fine or if I use the

NT
> > authentication and access the server locally (http://localhost)
> > then all works fine!!!
> >
> > But I suspect I've the same problem out of WSS because some times I have
> > some problem to access remote ressources.
> > My WSS Web server is Windows 2003; my OLAP server is Windows 2000

server;
> my
> > DC is a SBS 2003 on a third server.
> >
> > So, I'm not sure if the problem is at the WSS level, the ASP.NET level,

at
> > the IIS level or at the network config himself!
> >
> > any idea?
> >
> > thanks.
> >
> > Jerome.

Andrea D'Onofrio [MSFT]

That's right, the component configured in COM+ has all it needs (Username
and password that you set in the snap-in) to succesfully have a security
token that can do an authenticated request to any server in the domain. But
in this way you loose the security context of the requester and you access
to the OLAP cube always with the COM+ configured credential.

HtH,
Andrea

news:(E-Mail Removed)...