Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Security > How to Encrypt password

How to Encrypt password

Robin

In the web.config how do you generate the encrypted string that can be used
to store password of the identity element?

David Coe, MCP

You will need to download the aspnet_setreg.exe utility. Check out http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=329290 for more information.

Robin

Instead of using the registry can the details be stored in the web.config
file?

"David Coe, MCP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> You will need to download the aspnet_setreg.exe utility. Check out

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=329290 for more information.

Srini

I used this utility(aspnet_setreg.exe) to set the username and password elements in the registry in encrypted format. I could able to see the username and password in the registry(using regedit) in encrypted format. When I try to run my webservice it comes back with the following erro

Configuration Erro

An error occurred during the processing of a configuration file required to service this request. Please review the specific error details below and modify your configuration file appropriately

Parser Error Message: Error reading the password from the registry

and then it lists the web.config file entries

Is there anything I am missing to make it work as expected? Any info id greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance
Srini

Srini

I got it. Have not set the read permission in the regedt32 for ASPNET user. Thought I had a different user account for ASPNET

Thanks.