Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Security > Using ASPNET_SETREG.exe

Using ASPNET_SETREG.exe

HBrothers

Can this utility be used for an impersonated user in Web.Config?
I've used it to create the appropriate userName and password keys in the
registry and put the settings in Web.Config like this:
<identity impersonate="true"
userName="registry:HKLM\SOFTWARE\...\ASPNET_SETREG ,userName"
password="registry:HKLM\SOFTWARE\...\ASPNET_SETREG ,password"
/>
However, I keep getting errors saying that the password or userName could
not be read from the registry. I've made sure that the ASPNET account on
the server (Win 2003) has permissions to read the specific key. Is there
anything else I need to do?

Thanks,
-- Hardin

Keith

Did you follow this step:

Grant Read permissions to the Aspnet_wp.exe process
account.

See http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-
US;329290 for more info.

Marko

Hi!
I have exactly the same problem and I followed those steps Keith mentioned. Problem still exists on my 2003 server but it works with my XP/IIS5.1 !
Is there some fix for this problem that I have with my development environment or maybe some differences with security policys?

Marko

Hi
I have exactly the same problem with my Win2003 server - but wtih XP/IIS5.1 it works!
I have tried to find the difference but haven't figure it out yet.
Does my development environment (framework SDK) have something that my test Win2003 server doesn't? Or..
Is there some fix for Win2003 to resolve this problem? Or..
Can the local security policy be the reason for this
--Marko-
ps It was really hard to get this thru...

Holly Mazerolle

On your Windows 2003 machine keep make sure that you have granted the
permissions needed to the correct account. You will find is you check in
IIS that the process is now running under an account called Network
Service. Also, if this still does not work, you could download regmon from
http://www.sysinternals.com and reproduce the problem will running that
tool. You can look for any access denieds and it will also show you which
account is attempting to make an access.

Hope this Helps
Holly

Marko

Thanks Holly
Granting read permissions to those registry keys (for Network Service account) solved the problem
--Marko--