Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Security > Forms Authentication to specific folders

Forms Authentication to specific folders

MSFT

Hi Michael,

According to my current understanding, the structure of your web site is
like:

wwwroot----Login\

|---Download---Installs

Are Login and Download virtual folders? Where did you put the web.config? I
suspect the problem may be realted to these issues. I strongly suggest you
create a new web project, put all in the same web folder (including
web.config, login.aspx and exe file to test. This can help to make sure if
the problem is related to the issues mentioned above.

Luke
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

Michael Tissington

Luke,

Login and Download are NOT virtual folders.

The only virtual folder is 'installs'

web.config is in the root directory (wwwroot)

--
Michael Tissington
http://www.oaklodge.com

"MSFT" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Michael,
>
> According to my current understanding, the structure of your web site is
> like:
>
> wwwroot----Login\
> |
> |---Download---Installs
>

> Are Login and Download virtual folders? Where did you put the web.config?

> suspect the problem may be realted to these issues. I strongly suggest you
> create a new web project, put all in the same web folder (including
> web.config, login.aspx and exe file to test. This can help to make sure if
> the problem is related to the issues mentioned above.
>
> Luke
> Microsoft Online Support

> rights.)

Michael Tissington

Hi Luke,

Good news - found the problem ....

When creating a new virtual folder, the default is to create a new
application for it.

If I go to the properties of the virtual folder and remove the application
(so it uses the parent application) then everything now works.

Maybe that's something to add to a KB ...

--
Michael Tissington
http://www.oaklodge.com
http://www.tabtag.com

"MSFT" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Michael,
>
> According to my current understanding, the structure of your web site is
> like:
>
> wwwroot----Login\
> |
> |---Download---Installs
>

> Are Login and Download virtual folders? Where did you put the web.config?

> suspect the problem may be realted to these issues. I strongly suggest you
> create a new web project, put all in the same web folder (including
> web.config, login.aspx and exe file to test. This can help to make sure if
> the problem is related to the issues mentioned above.
>
> Luke
> Microsoft Online Support

> rights.)

MSFT

Hi Michael,

I glad the problem was resolved. Thank you for the share.

Luke
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

Ravichandran J.V.

You can quite simply put the users and roles who ought to be authorized
to access one type of file in the <Authorization> section of your
web.config file. A web.config placed in a subfolder will be applicable
for that sub folder only.

with regards,

J.V.Ravichandran
- http://www.geocities.com/