Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Security > howto get user and machine information of client computer

howto get user and machine information of client computer

Gert Jan

Hi there,

in a webapplication in a company where i have two seperate
domains, without any trust relation i need the following.

on the first domain (the backoffice) the users use a
webapplication to see transaction on a database in the
second domain. I can make user accounts on the second
domain, but I need (for logging and tracing reasons) the
username and machinename of the first domain.

To get this i think i need some javascript to get local
information. Does someone know how to get this?

Thanks!
best regards

Gert Jan

Keith

You'll only get the username and password of the user if
you force them to authenticate, which they can only do if
you are setup to use something other than anonymous
access. The best solution in this situation for me has
been to simply add the Domain Users or whichever group
from the user's domain to a group on the local machine.
I then use integrated authentication using their domain
as the authenticator. This is a logistical and security
mess that may be 1. Not allowed in your environment 2. A
little too complex of a solution. Unforunately, the only
other solution is to require the users to programatically
login and you storing a database of valid
usernames\passwords. I know this seems like it's not a
solution but it really is your best 3 options.