Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Deplying ASP.net application that references to shared assemblies

Deplying ASP.net application that references to shared assemblies

Phi!

Hello everyone,

I am looking into deploying this ASP.NET application which uses a
number of private and public assemblies.

When I compile the apllication does that automatically copy the public
assemblies from the GAC or do I have to do this manually.

I must explicity have this public assemblies within my own application
as it will be deplyed to another computer which might not have the
ashred assemblies.

Many Tanks in advance

Philip

Philip Q [MVP]

Phi! wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I am looking into deploying this ASP.NET application which uses a
> number of private and public assemblies.
>
> When I compile the apllication does that automatically copy the public
> assemblies from the GAC or do I have to do this manually.
>
> I must explicity have this public assemblies within my own application
> as it will be deplyed to another computer which might not have the
> ashred assemblies.
>
> Many Tanks in advance
>
> Philip

If you are deploying to other machines with .NET, then you do not have
to deploy the public (I assume you mean System.*) assemblies.

All assemblies that are not provided as part of the .NET base install
have to be redistributed with your application. Compiling simply
compiles your code into assemblies and doesn't incorporate any other
assemblies in them (there is no linker in .NET to do this).

--
Philip Q
Microsoft MVP [ASP.NET]