Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Security > Good reference book..

Good reference book..

I have been using .net for a while. I want to have my windows authentication
concepts cleared - . particularly how it works on Intranet sites. Is there
a good, simple to understand reference book/sites that can help me with?

Appreciate any help.

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

I am not sure what would be consider good and simple in your vernacular, but
there are plenty of free (thats right folks, free) books at
http://msdn.microsoft.com/architecture. Look for the patterns and practices
section. Great information on security, infrastructure and architecture for
developers. Does not completely relate directly to .NET windows
authentication, but you will find the topics in there.

Now, as far as windows authentication goes, what you are you trying to
accomplish. A web app or a windows app, or are you just looking for the
basics of NTFS permissions and how they relate to user's logons? Or, do you
want to get into Active Directory?

The answers to these questions will help myself and others lead you in the
right direction, as there is a lot of information out there, both in books
and online.

--
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

Think Outside the Box!
<.net user> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have been using .net for a while. I want to have my windows

authentication
> concepts cleared - . particularly how it works on Intranet sites. Is

there
> a good, simple to understand reference book/sites that can help me with?
>
> Appreciate any help.

.net user

Thanks for your information, Cowboy.
I want to understand how different pieces work to for the role based windows
authentication in a .net Intranet site.. I have put together the approach
i'm using but it doesn't work so it prompted me to refer to a good book on
the topic of winodws authentication. I have a separate posting regarding
this issue titled: 'Portal Starter Kit authentication".

"Cowboy (Gregory A. Beamer)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...