Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Security > Basic Authentication Logout

Basic Authentication Logout

JZink

I have an app with basic authentication turned on. I want
to have a logout button. What code do I need to supply in
my asp.net to logoff the user so the next time he/she hits
my protected page he/she will be prompted for id/pwd.

Holly Mazerolle

Take a look at this as an option.

195192 HOWTO: Clear Logon Credentials to Force Reauthentication
<http://support.microsoft.com/?id=195192>

JZink

I was hoping to be able to do it server side. I really
don't want to have to use an activeX control

confers no rights.

>.

Holly Mazerolle

What you are wanting to happen is not a server side problem though. The
situation is that IE will cache the credentials for you and it will keep
sending them on your behalf until you kill that browser session or start a
new one to the server. There is no server side solution that I know of when
using this type of authentication scheme. You may want to consider using a
different scheme like the following:

301240 HOW TO: Implement Forms-Based Authentication in Your ASP.NET
Application
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=301240

Pac

Session.Abandon()
Response.Redirect("Main.aspx")
'Release any session variables

'Redirect to main.aspx, because you have been logged out
it will take you the the Login page.
'Once logged in the user will be taken to the main
page. 'Keeps the functionality clean.