Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Security > EventLog access through ASP.Net app

EventLog access through ASP.Net app

JimN

I have an ASP.Net app for which I want to be able to log
events to the Windows 2000 server event log under a special
log name. I encountered the initial security exceptionwhen
I first tried this in code and then did some research on
the subject. I think I've found two seperate ways to
accomplish what I want to do:
1. Use "sandboxing" by writing a class library in a
strong-named assembly that I install in the GAC which I
then call into from my ASP.Net app.
2. Use wrapped Win32 API calls to perform impersonation,
which, I understand, requires that I grant "Act as Part of
Operating system" priviledge to the ASPNET user.

Which do the users of this group suggest I use for the best
security and portability to other, possibly new, Windows
servers?

Jeff

The easiest way is to just create the event log application as part of your
installation. You do this by editing the registry and adding a key with the
name of the application to
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\EventLog\Ap plication. You can find
more info about doing this here:

Jeff

"JimN" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:038301c3b393$edfef7a0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have an ASP.Net app for which I want to be able to log
> events to the Windows 2000 server event log under a special
> log name. I encountered the initial security exceptionwhen
> I first tried this in code and then did some research on
> the subject. I think I've found two seperate ways to
> accomplish what I want to do:
> 1. Use "sandboxing" by writing a class library in a
> strong-named assembly that I install in the GAC which I
> then call into from my ASP.Net app.
> 2. Use wrapped Win32 API calls to perform impersonation,
> which, I understand, requires that I grant "Act as Part of
> Operating system" priviledge to the ASPNET user.
>
> Which do the users of this group suggest I use for the best
> security and portability to other, possibly new, Windows
> servers?

Juri Zenkevitch

Im exactly in same situation - trying to get EventLog & RegistryKey to be
working for network computers: "access denied", because the WindowsIdentity
passed to me does not have LOGON32_LOGON_NETWORK_CLEARTEXT flag... And I
can't create my own identity, because at runtime I don't know credentials of
the user, who uses my asp.net application...