Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Security > how to secure asp.net code?

how to secure asp.net code?

Isabella

I am writing a web site for my client using asp.net. But I don't want him to
able to read the code and reuse it in future. How can I protect the code
and still give him a copy? Any idea? just wild guess like compiling the
project into .exe, component or dll. I have no idea. Please advise!

Isabella

Randy Charles Morin

obfuscation
http://www.devx.com/SummitDays/Article/11351

Randy
http://www.kbcafe.com

"Isabella" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> I am writing a web site for my client using asp.net. But I don't want him to
> able to read the code and reuse it in future. How can I protect the code
> and still give him a copy? Any idea? just wild guess like compiling the
> project into .exe, component or dll. I have no idea. Please advise!
>
> Isabella

Anton Sommer

Hello Randy,

I am curious how an asp.net user can access the managed code from the web
anyway.

Thank you

Anton

Michael Ames

Isabella,

Unlike older versions of ASP, with ASP.NET you do not have to include the
..vb source code files when you deploy the web application. The vb code will
be compiled into a dll, which will reside in the /bin subdirectory on your
site.

However, it is fairly easy for someone to decompile a .NET dll into its
source code. Obfiscation, which was mentioned by the other responder, will
make the decompiled code more or less useless.

So depending on how tech savvy you think this customer is, the fact that the
..vb files are already compiled into a DLL might be enough. But if you think
they're likely to attempt to decompile, you should look into obfuscation.

-Michael

"Isabella" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I am writing a web site for my client using asp.net. But I don't want him

> able to read the code and reuse it in future. How can I protect the code
> and still give him a copy? Any idea? just wild guess like compiling the
> project into .exe, component or dll. I have no idea. Please advise!
>
> Isabella

Randy Charles Morin

By default, you can't.

Randy