Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Security > 'Requested registry access is not allowed.' error

'Requested registry access is not allowed.' error

Vamsi

Hi,
i am trying to write to event log from my aspx application that is
using windows authentication. All my users would be 'Domain Users'.
I am able to write to event log when logged in as Administrator and
not as 'Domain Users'. I added 'Domain Users' to Permissions in
registry for Application key and its subkeys I am using.
I still get this error. What else should be done in my case to get my
Domain Users be able to write to event log.
Application runs on Win 2003 Server.
Thanks,
Vamsi

Randy Charles Morin

It's not that you don't have access to the Event Log, but rather that
you don't have access tot he Registry. The Registry hive for creating
new Event Sources.

You have to manually create the Registry keys for the Event Source.
You can do this by creating a Console App that writes one Log entry to
the Event Source.

Hope this helps,

Randy
http://www.kbcafe.com