Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Security > Help Needed: Passing variables securely to other ASPX pages

Help Needed: Passing variables securely to other ASPX pages

Doruk

The problem that we are experiencing is simple:

We want to pass certain parameters from a page with several server
controls to another page.

We want to do this in a dotnet compliant manner, but we can't seem to
find a good and clean solution anywhere.

The options we looked into are as follows. Comments following the
options are why we did not want to go with them:

1-) Use a query string
- Too limited (formats it can carry etc.)
- Easy to manipulate

2-) Use Server.Transfer
- Too messy (Browser does not see the URL change, relative paths
fail)
- Certain issues associated with server.transfer

3-) Use session variables
- Take up memory and resources longer than needed
- The parameters passed are only associated with that call and not
the whole session!

4-) Dynamically write out client side script to submit form
- Not a webcontrol
- To much spaghetti code given the way that we are developing the
rest of our system

If anyone has a clean(er) solution to pass variables from a page to
the next please let me know!!!!

Thanks,

Doruk

Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD]

You could create a base page class that all your pages inherit from.
This base class could contain the "spaghetti code" involved with filling
hidden fields & such. That way the messy stuff is all tucked away.

--
I hope this helps,
Steve C. Orr, MCSD, MVP

"Doruk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> The problem that we are experiencing is simple:
>
> We want to pass certain parameters from a page with several server
> controls to another page.
>
> We want to do this in a dotnet compliant manner, but we can't seem to
> find a good and clean solution anywhere.
>
> The options we looked into are as follows. Comments following the
> options are why we did not want to go with them:
>
> 1-) Use a query string
> - Too limited (formats it can carry etc.)
> - Easy to manipulate
>
> 2-) Use Server.Transfer
> - Too messy (Browser does not see the URL change, relative paths
> fail)
> - Certain issues associated with server.transfer
>
> 3-) Use session variables
> - Take up memory and resources longer than needed
> - The parameters passed are only associated with that call and not
> the whole session!
>
> 4-) Dynamically write out client side script to submit form
> - Not a webcontrol
> - To much spaghetti code given the way that we are developing the
> rest of our system
>
> If anyone has a clean(er) solution to pass variables from a page to
> the next please let me know!!!!
>
> Thanks,
>
> Doruk

bruce barker

look at ViewState

"Doruk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> The problem that we are experiencing is simple:
>
> We want to pass certain parameters from a page with several server
> controls to another page.
>
> We want to do this in a dotnet compliant manner, but we can't seem to
> find a good and clean solution anywhere.
>
> The options we looked into are as follows. Comments following the
> options are why we did not want to go with them:
>
> 1-) Use a query string
> - Too limited (formats it can carry etc.)
> - Easy to manipulate
>
> 2-) Use Server.Transfer
> - Too messy (Browser does not see the URL change, relative paths
> fail)
> - Certain issues associated with server.transfer
>
> 3-) Use session variables
> - Take up memory and resources longer than needed
> - The parameters passed are only associated with that call and not
> the whole session!
>
> 4-) Dynamically write out client side script to submit form
> - Not a webcontrol
> - To much spaghetti code given the way that we are developing the
> rest of our system
>
> If anyone has a clean(er) solution to pass variables from a page to
> the next please let me know!!!!
>
> Thanks,
>
> Doruk

Polux

ViewState works only for a single page. It cannot be shared among pages.
Not a viable solution.