Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Security > IIS UNC Token

IIS UNC Token

Jester

What's the IIS UNC token stated in ASP.NET impersonation
docu? How do you set it? Thanks

Microsoft

This is the token used to access files located on a remote UNC fileshare.

It is set in the MMC snap-in property page Properties > Home Directory >
Connect As > Network Security Credentials (only visible when "A share
located on another computer" is selected in Home Directory"). It is also
available in the metabase keys /W3CSVC/<instance>/Root/.../UNCUserName and
/W3CSVC/<instance>/Root/.../UNCUserPass .

Geneally, you should avoid using UNC fileshares for web app files. It's
complicates security and adds a performance bottleneck. IMHO, best practice
is to host the files locally unless you need a common, shared directory
between multiple hosts in a web farm. They're are plenty of great
operations products to replicate content between web farm hosts (Application
Center, RoboCopy, Content Replication Service).

-Steve Jansen

"Jester" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:049b01c3a756$2384fd10$(E-Mail Removed)...

> What's the IIS UNC token stated in ASP.NET impersonation
> docu? How do you set it? Thanks

Steve Jansen

Apologies for the "microsoft" header...i misconfigured my account options in
OE.

"Microsoft" <stj3571-nntp_at_yahoo> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> This is the token used to access files located on a remote UNC fileshare.
>
> It is set in the MMC snap-in property page Properties > Home Directory >
> Connect As > Network Security Credentials (only visible when "A share
> located on another computer" is selected in Home Directory"). It is also
> available in the metabase keys /W3CSVC/<instance>/Root/.../UNCUserName and
> /W3CSVC/<instance>/Root/.../UNCUserPass .
>
> Geneally, you should avoid using UNC fileshares for web app files. It's
> complicates security and adds a performance bottleneck. IMHO, best

practice
> is to host the files locally unless you need a common, shared directory
> between multiple hosts in a web farm. They're are plenty of great
> operations products to replicate content between web farm hosts

(Application
> Center, RoboCopy, Content Replication Service).
>
> -Steve Jansen
>
> "Jester" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:049b01c3a756$2384fd10$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > What's the IIS UNC token stated in ASP.NET impersonation
> > docu? How do you set it? Thanks

Jester

Thanks a lot, Steve. I really appreciate it

news.microsoft.com

You can access network share using WNetAddConnection function:
http://beta.experts-exchange.com/Pro..._20329637.html