Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Security > Windows authentication in classic ASP

Windows authentication in classic ASP

Nuno Filipe

How can I simulate the usage of web.config in classic asp ?

Can any one help with this ?

thanks in advance,

Nuno

Chris Jackson

What do you want to simulate? Windows authentication? You do that using IIS
itself. You don't get all of the rich authentication features of ASP.NET
without rolling your own. My question is, why simulate? Just use ASP.NET...

--
Chris Jackson
Software Engineer

"Nuno Filipe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> How can I simulate the usage of web.config in classic asp ?
>
> Can any one help with this ?
>
> thanks in advance,
>
> Nuno

Nuno Filipe

"Chris Jackson" <chrisjATmvpsDOTorgNOSPAM> wrote in message
news:Opy%(E-Mail Removed)...
> What do you want to simulate? Windows authentication? You do that using

IIS
> itself. You don't get all of the rich authentication features of ASP.NET
> without rolling your own. My question is, why simulate? Just use

ASP.NET...

I want to grant / deny access to diferent users on several directories of
the application and my ideia was to put a web.config in each directory with
the users configuration.
It's a very large and complex application, that's why I don't port it to
ASP.NET.

How can I do this ?

Thanks in advance,

Nuno

Chris Jackson

Well, you don't get web.config for ASP classic, but you can achieve the same
result directly through the file system - selectively give access to the
directory to the users or groups you need using NTFS ACLs.

--
Chris Jackson
Software Engineer
Windows XP Associate Expert
(Control-G using Outlook Express)
--

"Nuno Filipe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Chris Jackson" <chrisjATmvpsDOTorgNOSPAM> wrote in message
> news:Opy%(E-Mail Removed)...
> > What do you want to simulate? Windows authentication? You do that using

> IIS
> > itself. You don't get all of the rich authentication features of ASP.NET
> > without rolling your own. My question is, why simulate? Just use

> ASP.NET...
> >

> I want to grant / deny access to diferent users on several directories of
> the application and my ideia was to put a web.config in each directory

with
> the users configuration.
> It's a very large and complex application, that's why I don't port it to
> ASP.NET.
>
> How can I do this ?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Nuno

You can also create an ISAPI filter to do the work (I've
done this...)