Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > WPA and WPC11

WPA and WPC11

Dan

For the moment, I use a wep key 128bit and mac filtering but I want more
security but I dont know to enable WPA TKIP on my WPC11 version 3.

I know to activate wpa on my linksys router BEFW11S4 version but I dont find
any information to activate on my pc.

I use windows xp SP1.

Thanks

Jerry Peterson[MSFT]

You will need two elements on your wireless client to enable WPA support.

1. A WPA capable device.
2. A WPA capable client software utility.

The WPC11 is two generations out of date and it cannot support the WPA
standard. You will need new hardware to participate in a WPA or WPA2
secured network.

XP SP1 came out before the WPA standard was ratified. You should upgrade
the client to XP SP2 to receive WPA compatibility. XP SP2 is available from
Windows update:
http://update.microsoft.com/windowsu....aspx?ln=en-us

Windows support for WPA2 is available for XP SP2 machines if you download
the following functional update:

Jerry Peterson
Windows Network Services - Wireless

news:(E-Mail Removed)...