Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Security > CDOSYS.dll System.Web.Mail

Reply
Thread Tools

CDOSYS.dll System.Web.Mail

 
 
Steve Y.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-03-2003
I am trying to send mail but I am getting an access is
denied message. The cdosys.dll is in the C:\Winnt\system32
folder. Should I be granting access to this folder or to
the dll to the ASPNET user account?

Anyone know the proper security thing to do here?

Thanks,
Steve
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Marcus
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-04-2003
Hi Steve,

Did you manage to get a resolution to this? I'm having exactly the
same problem and it's driving me mad. The application works in VB.NET
(Windows App) but refuses to work in ASP.NET. It must be some sort of
permissions issue but I've researched this all day and drawn a blank.

Any help appreciated!!

Marcus.

"Steve Y." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<05de01c37268$213c48b0$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> I am trying to send mail but I am getting an access is
> denied message. The cdosys.dll is in the C:\Winnt\system32
> folder. Should I be granting access to this folder or to
> the dll to the ASPNET user account?
>
> Anyone know the proper security thing to do here?
>
> Thanks,
> Steve

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Steve Y.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-05-2003
No. I am hoping Microsoft support might drop a few tidbits
of information and help out. What really bothers me is
that I can get all this stuff to work easily in asp
classic but asp.net is not very clear on what it needs
permissions to! Yes, it is a permissions error the
question is how to solve it without making the aspnet
account an administrator.
>-----Original Message-----
>Hi Steve,
>
>Did you manage to get a resolution to this? I'm having

exactly the
>same problem and it's driving me mad. The application

works in VB.NET
>(Windows App) but refuses to work in ASP.NET. It must be

some sort of
>permissions issue but I've researched this all day and

drawn a blank.
>
>Any help appreciated!!
>
>Marcus.
>
>"Steve Y." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

news:<05de01c37268$213c48b0$(E-Mail Removed)>...
>> I am trying to send mail but I am getting an access is
>> denied message. The cdosys.dll is in the

C:\Winnt\system32
>> folder. Should I be granting access to this folder or

to
>> the dll to the ASPNET user account?
>>
>> Anyone know the proper security thing to do here?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Steve

>.
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
Marcus Wade
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-05-2003

Thanks,

Microsoft appear to say that this kind of functionality is no longer
supported. Have a look at this....

http://support.microsoft.com/default...port.microsoft.
com:80/support/kb/articles/q237/9/13.asp&NoWebContent=1

I'll let you know if I get anywhere with it...

Marcus.


*** Sent via Developersdex http://www.developersdex.com ***
Don't just participate in USENET...get rewarded for it!
 
Reply With Quote
 
Steve Yaworsky
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-05-2003

I don't think that article is related. I am using the built in
System.Web.Mail stuff which accesses CDOSYS.dll behind the scenes. I
know for sure the System.Web.Mail works on an IIS box but it is after it
has been locked down, (using the IIS lockdown tool) that it seems to
stop working. I just have to figure out what permissions to turn on so
it works again without comprimising the web server. I will definitely
let you know if I figure it out.

Thanks,

Steve


*** Sent via Developersdex http://www.developersdex.com ***
Don't just participate in USENET...get rewarded for it!
 
Reply With Quote
 
Eric
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-09-2003
I hope someone gives some insight into this problem because I've tried for
the past month to resolve it. I even have multiple machines to try it on.
Only one machine works... The one without IIS lockdown ran on it. I've
changed all kinds of permissions throught the machine and still don't have
it. I will not make ASPNET an administrator. I will leave it broke forever
first.


"Steve Y." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:05de01c37268$213c48b0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I am trying to send mail but I am getting an access is
> denied message. The cdosys.dll is in the C:\Winnt\system32
> folder. Should I be granting access to this folder or to
> the dll to the ASPNET user account?
>
> Anyone know the proper security thing to do here?
>
> Thanks,
> Steve



 
Reply With Quote
 
Steve Y.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-12-2003
Just for test purposes did you try making the ASPNET user
an administrator to see if it works or change the
machine.config to user the "System" account over
the "machine" account to see if it works which would
isolate the issue? Let me know.

Steve


>-----Original Message-----
>I hope someone gives some insight into this problem

because I've tried for
>the past month to resolve it. I even have multiple

machines to try it on.
>Only one machine works... The one without IIS lockdown

ran on it. I've
>changed all kinds of permissions throught the machine and

still don't have
>it. I will not make ASPNET an administrator. I will

leave it broke forever
>first.
>
>
>"Steve Y." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:05de01c37268$213c48b0$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I am trying to send mail but I am getting an access is
>> denied message. The cdosys.dll is in the

C:\Winnt\system32
>> folder. Should I be granting access to this folder or to
>> the dll to the ASPNET user account?
>>
>> Anyone know the proper security thing to do here?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Steve

>
>
>.
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
Eric
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-16-2003
Well first let me retract some of my last letter. All other test machines
work, even those that have IIS lockdown run on them. Every machine works
except my production server - the page (at the moment) can't be reached
unless you type in the URL directly - so nobody gets upset at the page. I
can't change the machine.config file on the production server like that.
The other test web servers are using "machine" as opposed to "system". I'm
sure it would work if I changed it on the production machine. I wish
someone from microsoft would comment on this. I'm sure it could be fixed
fairly easy with some permission change somewhere! I just can't find where!
I have been looking through newgroups and searching the internet, but still
no damn answers.



"Steve Y." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:082d01c3794d$093cd450$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Just for test purposes did you try making the ASPNET user
> an administrator to see if it works or change the
> machine.config to user the "System" account over
> the "machine" account to see if it works which would
> isolate the issue? Let me know.
>
> Steve
>
>
> >-----Original Message-----
> >I hope someone gives some insight into this problem

> because I've tried for
> >the past month to resolve it. I even have multiple

> machines to try it on.
> >Only one machine works... The one without IIS lockdown

> ran on it. I've
> >changed all kinds of permissions throught the machine and

> still don't have
> >it. I will not make ASPNET an administrator. I will

> leave it broke forever
> >first.
> >
> >
> >"Steve Y." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:05de01c37268$213c48b0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> I am trying to send mail but I am getting an access is
> >> denied message. The cdosys.dll is in the

> C:\Winnt\system32
> >> folder. Should I be granting access to this folder or to
> >> the dll to the ASPNET user account?
> >>
> >> Anyone know the proper security thing to do here?
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Steve

> >
> >
> >.
> >



 
Reply With Quote
 
Eric
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-16-2003
Let elaborate even a little more since this is the only newsgroup to have
ANY replies at all. My code is also using a remote SMTP server to send the
mail through (which I did specify in code). All test machines work (5).
I'm not using the local machines smtp service for this. Well whatever, I
hope someone who knows will post something here.



"Eric" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Well first let me retract some of my last letter. All other test machines
> work, even those that have IIS lockdown run on them. Every machine works
> except my production server - the page (at the moment) can't be reached
> unless you type in the URL directly - so nobody gets upset at the page. I
> can't change the machine.config file on the production server like that.
> The other test web servers are using "machine" as opposed to "system".

I'm
> sure it would work if I changed it on the production machine. I wish
> someone from microsoft would comment on this. I'm sure it could be fixed
> fairly easy with some permission change somewhere! I just can't find

where!
> I have been looking through newgroups and searching the internet, but

still
> no damn answers.
>
>
>
> "Steve Y." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:082d01c3794d$093cd450$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Just for test purposes did you try making the ASPNET user
> > an administrator to see if it works or change the
> > machine.config to user the "System" account over
> > the "machine" account to see if it works which would
> > isolate the issue? Let me know.
> >
> > Steve
> >
> >
> > >-----Original Message-----
> > >I hope someone gives some insight into this problem

> > because I've tried for
> > >the past month to resolve it. I even have multiple

> > machines to try it on.
> > >Only one machine works... The one without IIS lockdown

> > ran on it. I've
> > >changed all kinds of permissions throught the machine and

> > still don't have
> > >it. I will not make ASPNET an administrator. I will

> > leave it broke forever
> > >first.
> > >
> > >
> > >"Steve Y." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > >news:05de01c37268$213c48b0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > >> I am trying to send mail but I am getting an access is
> > >> denied message. The cdosys.dll is in the

> > C:\Winnt\system32
> > >> folder. Should I be granting access to this folder or to
> > >> the dll to the ASPNET user account?
> > >>
> > >> Anyone know the proper security thing to do here?
> > >>
> > >> Thanks,
> > >> Steve
> > >
> > >
> > >.
> > >

>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off




Advertisments