Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Security > Moving from an SSL to an non-SSL connection

Moving from an SSL to an non-SSL connection

Silviu Tudoras

I'm new to ASP and Internet programming...

I want to send a request through SSL and to receive the response non-SSL. Is
this possible?
I have a MFC LiveUpdate client application. I want to send the request (for
a file) cripted (https://...asp) but to receive the response (which could be
a big binary file) not cripted.

What sould I do in the ASP page (not ASP.NET) to achieve such a result? I
don't want/need to "force" both the server and the client computer to
crypt/decrypt the whole file on its way back.

Server software: Microsoft-IIS/5.0

(no more ASP newsgroups?)

Thanks

Michal A. Valasek

| I want to send a request through SSL and to receive the response non-SSL.
Is
| this possible?
| I have a MFC LiveUpdate client application. I want to send the request
(for
| a file) cripted (https://...asp) but to receive the response (which could
be
| a big binary file) not cripted.

As SSL encrypt underlying sockets (it's acronym for Secure Socket Layer),
you can't encrypt request and response not. What you want is principially
impossible.

You must find some workaround. For example encrypt related data itself and
use non-encryped connection. Or send two requests, one secured, which would
return non-secured URL your client will use for download.

--
Michal A. Valasek, Altair Communications, http://www.altaircom.net
Please do not reply to this e-mail, for contact see http://www.rider.cz