Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Security > ASP.Net Security and SQL Server access

ASP.Net Security and SQL Server access

Richard

Can someone tell me the best security configuration for an intranet site.

I want to use Window accounts (groups) to control access to the Web site and
the access to a SQL Server database on a different server.

Does the web.config file override the IIS MMC security settings ?

Cheers

Chris Jackson

Your IIS application runs under one identity. This is configured in the IIS
settings.

ASP.NET runs under another identity, which you can configure in the
machine.config. (By default, it's MACHINE\ASPNET.)

If you want ASP.NET to use the Windows identity of the IIS application
(which can be the authenticated user) then make sure your web.config has
<identity impersonate="true">

--
Chris Jackson
Software Engineer
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Can someone tell me the best security configuration for an intranet site.
>
> I want to use Window accounts (groups) to control access to the Web site

and
> the access to a SQL Server database on a different server.
>
> Does the web.config file override the IIS MMC security settings ?
>
> Cheers

Chris Jackson

Under what credentials is your aspnet_wp.exe running? (You can check this
under the task manager.) Have you set up impersonation?

--
Chris Jackson
Software Engineer
Microsoft MVP - Windows XP
Windows XP Associate Expert
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks Chris,
>
> i have the web.config file set up for windows integrated authentication

with
> authorisation on a group set up on the web server. That goes well.
>
> I chek the user and display on the page - so i know which account it is
> running in.
>
> I have calls to a SQL server with a different group (but still windows
> accounts) set up for access to a table i want to update etc
>
> Calls to this db do not work, with integrated scurity - but if i use a
> specific user in the connection string it does work and i gain access to

the