Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Mobile > How to get a two column list?

How to get a two column list?

Stacey

I am trying to develop a mobile page that has two columns. Tables are not
supported and I really don;t know what to do here. I need to display in a
pretty format (tables would be awesome.. but).. jsut some simple labels and
values.

Ideas?

Stacey

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hello Stacey,

Because ASP.NET Mobile device will target different kinds of client mobile
devices, it can not provide very decent and specific template as ASP.NET
template controls. For displaying table like data, you may use the List
control since it support both static items and databinding items. And for
multi-columns displaying, it may not supported by non-html compatible
device/browser, if you're sure the device can support html32 or higher, you
can define a custom template for html32 devices. e.g.

=============================
<mobile:Form id="Form1" runat="server">&nbsp;<mobile:List runat="server"
id="CitiesList" OnItemCommand="CitiesList_ItemCommand"
BreakAfter="true" Decoration="none"

<DeviceSpecific>
<Choice Filter="isHTML32">
<HeaderTemplate>

</HeaderTemplate>
<ItemTemplate>

</ItemTemplate>
<FooterTemplate>
</FooterTemplate>
</Choice>
</DeviceSpecific>
</mobile:List>

</mobile:Form>
========================

For more info about templating in ASP.NET mobile form, you can refer to the
MSDN reference:

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/lib...ontrols.device
specific(VS.80).aspx

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

ications.

Stacey

My specific device that I am coding for is a T-Mobile Dash (aka HTC
Excalibur).. I also have a Motorola Q. Those are the only 2 devices that I
know of. They are both running Windows Movbile 2005.
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello Stacey,
>
> Because ASP.NET Mobile device will target different kinds of client mobile
> devices, it can not provide very decent and specific template as ASP.NET
> template controls. For displaying table like data, you may use the List
> control since it support both static items and databinding items. And for
> multi-columns displaying, it may not supported by non-html compatible
> device/browser, if you're sure the device can support html32 or higher,
> you
> can define a custom template for html32 devices. e.g.
>

> =============================
> <mobile:Form id="Form1" runat="server">&nbsp;<mobile:List runat="server"
> id="CitiesList" OnItemCommand="CitiesList_ItemCommand"
> BreakAfter="true" Decoration="none"
> >

> <DeviceSpecific>
> <Choice Filter="isHTML32">
> <HeaderTemplate>

> </HeaderTemplate>
> <ItemTemplate>

> </ItemTemplate>
> <FooterTemplate>
> </FooterTemplate>
> </Choice>
> </DeviceSpecific>
> </mobile:List>
>
> </mobile:Form>
> ========================
>
> For more info about templating in ASP.NET mobile form, you can refer to
> the
> MSDN reference:
>
> http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/lib...ontrols.device
> specific(VS.80).aspx
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Steven Cheng
>
> Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

> ications.

> rights.

Stacey

Can you tell me how to tell as well?
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello Stacey,
>
> Because ASP.NET Mobile device will target different kinds of client mobile
> devices, it can not provide very decent and specific template as ASP.NET
> template controls. For displaying table like data, you may use the List
> control since it support both static items and databinding items. And for
> multi-columns displaying, it may not supported by non-html compatible
> device/browser, if you're sure the device can support html32 or higher,
> you
> can define a custom template for html32 devices. e.g.
>

> =============================
> <mobile:Form id="Form1" runat="server">&nbsp;<mobile:List runat="server"
> id="CitiesList" OnItemCommand="CitiesList_ItemCommand"
> BreakAfter="true" Decoration="none"
> >

> <DeviceSpecific>
> <Choice Filter="isHTML32">
> <HeaderTemplate>

> </HeaderTemplate>
> <ItemTemplate>

> </ItemTemplate>
> <FooterTemplate>
> </FooterTemplate>
> </Choice>
> </DeviceSpecific>
> </mobile:List>
>
> </mobile:Form>
> ========================
>
> For more info about templating in ASP.NET mobile form, you can refer to
> the
> MSDN reference:
>
> http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/lib...ontrols.device
> specific(VS.80).aspx
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Steven Cheng
>
> Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

> ications.

> rights.

Stacey

I found out..
foreach (string key in Request.Browser.Capabilities.Keys)

{

Response.Write("<br/>" + key + ": " + Request.Browser.Capabilities[key]);

}

"Stacey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Can you tell me how to tell as well?
> "Steven Cheng[MSFT]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hello Stacey,
>>
>> Because ASP.NET Mobile device will target different kinds of client
>> mobile
>> devices, it can not provide very decent and specific template as ASP.NET
>> template controls. For displaying table like data, you may use the List
>> control since it support both static items and databinding items. And for
>> multi-columns displaying, it may not supported by non-html compatible
>> device/browser, if you're sure the device can support html32 or higher,
>> you
>> can define a custom template for html32 devices. e.g.
>>

>> =============================
>> <mobile:Form id="Form1" runat="server">&nbsp;<mobile:List runat="server"
>> id="CitiesList" OnItemCommand="CitiesList_ItemCommand"
>> BreakAfter="true" Decoration="none"
>> >

>> <DeviceSpecific>
>> <Choice Filter="isHTML32">
>> <HeaderTemplate>

>> </HeaderTemplate>
>> <ItemTemplate>

>> </ItemTemplate>
>> <FooterTemplate>
>> </FooterTemplate>
>> </Choice>
>> </DeviceSpecific>
>> </mobile:List>
>>
>> </mobile:Form>
>> ========================
>>
>> For more info about templating in ASP.NET mobile form, you can refer to
>> the
>> MSDN reference:
>>
>> http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/lib...ontrols.device
>> specific(VS.80).aspx
>>
>> Sincerely,
>>
>> Steven Cheng
>>
>> Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

>> http://msdn.microsoft.com/subscripti...ult.aspx#notif
>> ications.

>> issues
>> follow
>> professional working with you may need further investigation to reach the
>> most efficient resolution. The offering is not appropriate for situations
>> project analysis and dump analysis issues. Issues of this nature are best
>> handled working with a dedicated Microsoft Support Engineer by contacting
>> http://msdn.microsoft.com/subscripti...t/default.aspx.

>> rights.

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Stacey,

Yes, the Request.Browser.Capabilities property contains the client-side
browser/devices' capability info(parsed from http headers). And this is
used for both ASP.NET standard and mobile application. BTW, have you
figured out what's the supported features of your target devices? As far as
I know, windows mobile 5 support HTML 32+ and cookie, however,
client-script supported is still quite limited.

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Thanks for your reply Stacey,

Since html32 is supported. I suggest try directly create a non-mobile
ASP.NET page which contains a normal html <table> (designed as two column
style you want) and visit the page in your T-mobile device to see whether
it can display well.

I'll also discuss with some other engineers to see whether there is any
further ideas on this. I'll update you as soon as I get any info.

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

Stacey

I have thought about that, but the page is not static. The only option i
have come up with is to write a process that every few minutes or so,
regenerates a static HTML page with the udpated data.
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Thanks for your reply Stacey,
>
> Since html32 is supported. I suggest try directly create a non-mobile
> ASP.NET page which contains a normal html <table> (designed as two column
> style you want) and visit the page in your T-mobile device to see whether
> it can display well.
>
> I'll also discuss with some other engineers to see whether there is any
> further ideas on this. I'll update you as soon as I get any info.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Steven Cheng
>
> Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

> rights.

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hello Stacey,

After some further research, I've got it working with the ObjectList
control. You can define multiple Fields to display multiple columns(table
like) list. e.g.

================
<mobile:ObjectList
ID="TodaysSales"
Runat="server"
AutoGenerateFields="False"
TableFields="CategoryID;CategoryName">
<Command Name="CategoryID" Text="CategoryID" />
<Command Name="CategoryName" Text="CategoryName" />
<Field DataField="CategoryID" Name="CategoryID" Title="CategoryID"
/>
<Field DataField="CategoryName" Name="CategoryName"
Title="CategoryName" />
</mobile:ObjectList>