Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Mobile > XML over GPRS - Is this a good idea?????

XML over GPRS - Is this a good idea?????

iKiLL

Hi All

I was hoping some one could give me some guidance on the matter of sending
data over GPRS.

I have taken over an application written for Windows mobile 5.0 with VS2005.

It is currently communicating with a web service via GPRS.

The Web service places all the data into objects and then returns it to the
PDA. And the same happens when sending stuff to the Web service from the
PDA.

My concern is the amount of Meta data(xml) that is being sent just to
describe the Data itself.

Is there a better way of doing this? Or do I have to live with it if I want
to use OOP.

Thanks

ink

Ignacio Machin \( .NET/ C# MVP \)

Hi,

First of all it;s a bad thing to cross-post to so many groups at the same
time, do not do it again.

You will have to experiment and see the performance of the app (as well as
the amount of data being transfered) before decidng to change the app, maybe
it's more expensive to change the app behavior than to simply get a better
data plan from the cellular provider.

I hvae one such application and in my case it was a huge difference using
XML than using other form of data. so I ended using a csv file (not really
using , but a non-printable char) and zipping the file before send it.

--
Ignacio Machin
machin AT laceupsolutions com

"iKiLL" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi All
>
> I was hoping some one could give me some guidance on the matter of sending
> data over GPRS.
>

> I have taken over an application written for Windows mobile 5.0 with
> VS2005.
>

> It is currently communicating with a web service via GPRS.
>

> The Web service places all the data into objects and then returns it to
> the PDA. And the same happens when sending stuff to the Web service from
> the PDA.
>

> My concern is the amount of Meta data(xml) that is being sent just to
> describe the Data itself.
>

> Is there a better way of doing this? Or do I have to live with it if I
> want to use OOP.
>

> Thanks
>
> ink

iKiLL

Hi Ignacio

Thanks for your input on this topic. Much appreciated.

I am sorry that my cross posting bothered you, but i don't feel that i have
posted to any group that would not benefit from this topic of conversation.

Kind regards,

ink

"Ignacio Machin ( .NET/ C# MVP )" <machin TA laceupsolutions.com> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> First of all it;s a bad thing to cross-post to so many groups at the same
> time, do not do it again.
>
> You will have to experiment and see the performance of the app (as well as
> the amount of data being transfered) before decidng to change the app,
> maybe it's more expensive to change the app behavior than to simply get a
> better data plan from the cellular provider.
>
> I hvae one such application and in my case it was a huge difference using
> XML than using other form of data. so I ended using a csv file (not really
> using , but a non-printable char) and zipping the file before send it.
>

> --
> Ignacio Machin
> machin AT laceupsolutions com
>
> "iKiLL" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi All
>>
>> I was hoping some one could give me some guidance on the matter of
>> sending data over GPRS.
>>

>> I have taken over an application written for Windows mobile 5.0 with
>> VS2005.
>>

>> It is currently communicating with a web service via GPRS.
>>

>> The Web service places all the data into objects and then returns it to
>> the PDA. And the same happens when sending stuff to the Web service from
>> the PDA.
>>

>> My concern is the amount of Meta data(xml) that is being sent just to
>> describe the Data itself.
>>

>> Is there a better way of doing this? Or do I have to live with it if I
>> want to use OOP.
>>

>> Thanks
>>
>> ink

Ignacio Machin \( .NET/ C# MVP \)

Hi,

It's not that bother me or not, it's bad nettiquete.

"iKiLL" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:e$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Ignacio
>
> Thanks for your input on this topic. Much appreciated.
>

> I am sorry that my cross posting bothered you, but i don't feel that i
> have posted to any group that would not benefit from this topic of
> conversation.
>

> Kind regards,
>
> ink
>

> "Ignacio Machin ( .NET/ C# MVP )" <machin TA laceupsolutions.com> wrote in
> message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi,
>>
>> First of all it;s a bad thing to cross-post to so many groups at the same
>> time, do not do it again.
>>
>> You will have to experiment and see the performance of the app (as well
>> as the amount of data being transfered) before decidng to change the app,
>> maybe it's more expensive to change the app behavior than to simply get a
>> better data plan from the cellular provider.
>>
>> I hvae one such application and in my case it was a huge difference using
>> XML than using other form of data. so I ended using a csv file (not
>> really using , but a non-printable char) and zipping the file before send
>> it.
>>

>> --
>> Ignacio Machin
>> machin AT laceupsolutions com
>>
>> "iKiLL" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Hi All
>>>
>>> I was hoping some one could give me some guidance on the matter of
>>> sending data over GPRS.
>>>

>>> I have taken over an application written for Windows mobile 5.0 with
>>> VS2005.
>>>

>>> It is currently communicating with a web service via GPRS.
>>>

>>> The Web service places all the data into objects and then returns it to
>>> the PDA. And the same happens when sending stuff to the Web service from
>>> the PDA.
>>>

>>> My concern is the amount of Meta data(xml) that is being sent just to
>>> describe the Data itself.
>>>

>>> Is there a better way of doing this? Or do I have to live with it if I
>>> want to use OOP.
>>>

>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> ink

Paul G. Tobey [eMVP]

ASP.NET? Web services? The Compact Framework group is all you needed.

If the cost of the human-readability is very high, maybe it's not worth it
to the customer. *We* can't make that call, however. XML will be bigger
than just about any other representation, so it's the worst case...

Paul T.

"iKiLL" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:e$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Ignacio
>
> Thanks for your input on this topic. Much appreciated.
>

> I am sorry that my cross posting bothered you, but i don't feel that i
> have posted to any group that would not benefit from this topic of
> conversation.
>

> Kind regards,
>
> ink
>

> "Ignacio Machin ( .NET/ C# MVP )" <machin TA laceupsolutions.com> wrote in
> message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi,
>>
>> First of all it;s a bad thing to cross-post to so many groups at the same
>> time, do not do it again.
>>
>> You will have to experiment and see the performance of the app (as well
>> as the amount of data being transfered) before decidng to change the app,
>> maybe it's more expensive to change the app behavior than to simply get a
>> better data plan from the cellular provider.
>>
>> I hvae one such application and in my case it was a huge difference using
>> XML than using other form of data. so I ended using a csv file (not
>> really using , but a non-printable char) and zipping the file before send
>> it.
>>

>> --
>> Ignacio Machin
>> machin AT laceupsolutions com
>>
>> "iKiLL" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Hi All
>>>
>>> I was hoping some one could give me some guidance on the matter of
>>> sending data over GPRS.
>>>

>>> I have taken over an application written for Windows mobile 5.0 with
>>> VS2005.
>>>

>>> It is currently communicating with a web service via GPRS.
>>>

>>> The Web service places all the data into objects and then returns it to
>>> the PDA. And the same happens when sending stuff to the Web service from
>>> the PDA.
>>>

>>> My concern is the amount of Meta data(xml) that is being sent just to
>>> describe the Data itself.
>>>

>>> Is there a better way of doing this? Or do I have to live with it if I
>>> want to use OOP.
>>>

>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> ink

iKiLL

Thanks paul,

I thougth it would be.

From now on i will try to cherry pick the news groups that i post to better.

Thanks,
ink

"Paul G. Tobey [eMVP]" <p space tobey no spam AT no instrument no spam DOT

VOIP over GPRS/3G amp is UK VOIP 9 10-17-2008 07:47 PM
XML over GPRS - Is this a good idea????? iKiLL ASP .Net Web Services 5 12-21-2006 05:22 PM
VoIP over GPRS neska VOIP 2 02-11-2004 11:24 PM
WTD: VPN over GPRS genius Shane Hobson NZ Computing 8 12-01-2003 01:06 AM

Advertisments