Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Mobile > Clarification regarding ASP.NET support for mobile devices

Clarification regarding ASP.NET support for mobile devices

charliewest

Forgive my ignorance, but i am somewhat confused regarding .Net Framework 1.x
and .Net Framework 2.0, and then ASP.NET and ASP.NET 2.0.

Am i correct to assume that ASP.NET 2.0 requires .Net 2.0?

And, what version of ASP.NET is supported on Windows Mobile 2003 devices?

Thanks!

Brock Allen

Support in ASP.NET 1.1 and 2.0 is done with the ASP.NET Mobile Controls --
it's a seperate download that contains a set of server side controls designed
to render on hand-held style of device (cHTML and the like). There was something
similar for 1.0 but I forget what it was. That's the story going forward.
I imagine that in a service pack or some additional download after 2.0 is
released there will be a new library targeted for 2.0. They were close to
adding new support in 2.0 for mobile rendering but it was cut from the final
release -- I suspect primarily due to timelines and the need to ship.

-Brock
DevelopMentor
http://staff.develop.com/ballen

> Forgive my ignorance, but i am somewhat confused regarding .Net
> Framework 1.x and .Net Framework 2.0, and then ASP.NET and ASP.NET
> 2.0.
>
> Am i correct to assume that ASP.NET 2.0 requires .Net 2.0?
>
> And, what version of ASP.NET is supported on Windows Mobile 2003
> devices?
>
> Thanks!

charliewest

Is this to say unofficially that the enhancements in ASP.NET 2.0 for mobile
devices is not as "spectacular" as the documentation leads to believe?

I've read the whitepaper "Migrating from ASP.NET 1.x to ASP.NET 2.0" and
this reads that the MMIT and mobile controls have been "rolled into the main
framework". I had understood this to mean that the same controls used for
PC-based web-forms would work flawlessly on Mobile-based web-forms?

"Brock Allen" wrote:

> Support in ASP.NET 1.1 and 2.0 is done with the ASP.NET Mobile Controls --
> it's a seperate download that contains a set of server side controls designed
> to render on hand-held style of device (cHTML and the like). There was something
> similar for 1.0 but I forget what it was. That's the story going forward.
> I imagine that in a service pack or some additional download after 2.0 is
> released there will be a new library targeted for 2.0. They were close to
> adding new support in 2.0 for mobile rendering but it was cut from the final
> release -- I suspect primarily due to timelines and the need to ship.
>
> -Brock
> DevelopMentor
> http://staff.develop.com/ballen
>

> > Forgive my ignorance, but i am somewhat confused regarding .Net
> > Framework 1.x and .Net Framework 2.0, and then ASP.NET and ASP.NET
> > 2.0.
> >
> > Am i correct to assume that ASP.NET 2.0 requires .Net 2.0?
> >
> > And, what version of ASP.NET is supported on Windows Mobile 2003
> > devices?
> >
> > Thanks!

Brock Allen

> Is this to say unofficially that the enhancements in ASP.NET 2.0 for
> mobile devices is not as "spectacular" as the documentation leads to
> believe?
>
> I've read the whitepaper "Migrating from ASP.NET 1.x to ASP.NET 2.0"
> and this reads that the MMIT and mobile controls have been "rolled
> into the main framework". I had understood this to mean that the same
> controls used for PC-based web-forms would work flawlessly on
> Mobile-based web-forms?

In Beta1 things were looking good, but then this update on changes in Beta2
was released:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/asp.net/wh...a2changes.aspx