Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Mobile > transmitting signature

transmitting signature

David C

My goal (if attainable) is to program something that is akin to how UPS
delivery men collects signatures and more. Here is the scenario.

- An inspector visits a restaurant.
- Uses a PDA to fill out a web form programmed to document deficiencies
- Have the restaurant owner sign on the PDA
- transmit the signature over to the web application, tie it to the web form
that the inspector filled out

Is this far fetched?

Decomposing the problem into several subproblems.
- How would I transmit an image bearing a signature over to the web
application. A web service, I am guessing?
- Then with the received image, I would have to come up with a way to tie it
to the specific record.

Your helpful insight will be greatly appreciated. The project is in a
preliminary stage right now. I have not done any .NET wireless programming.

JuanDG

Well the hardest part is capturing the signature into a file, once that is
done, you simple send the file as an attachment in the HTTP request (similar
to the way you upload files as attachments in your web-based e-mail
account), then the form its received by the Web server and through ASP.NET
you store the data in a Database, either with the image in a field of the DB
or with a field bearing the path to the image.

--

Juan David Gomez A.
Microsoft Certified Professional

"David C" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:QcuAd.40839$(E-Mail Removed)...
> My goal (if attainable) is to program something that is akin to how UPS
> delivery men collects signatures and more. Here is the scenario.
>
> - An inspector visits a restaurant.
> - Uses a PDA to fill out a web form programmed to document deficiencies
> - Have the restaurant owner sign on the PDA
> - transmit the signature over to the web application, tie it to the web
> form
> that the inspector filled out
>
> Is this far fetched?
>
> Decomposing the problem into several subproblems.
> - How would I transmit an image bearing a signature over to the web
> application. A web service, I am guessing?
> - Then with the received image, I would have to come up with a way to tie
> it
> to the specific record.
>
> Your helpful insight will be greatly appreciated. The project is in a
> preliminary stage right now. I have not done any .NET wireless
> programming.

David C

> Well the hardest part is capturing the signature into a file,

Do you have a suggestion on how to go about doing exactly that?

Ogie Ogelthorpe

David C wrote:
>>Well the hardest part is capturing the signature into a file,

> Do you have a suggestion on how to go about doing exactly that?

Appforge has an object that does it for you. Watch the web demo at
http://www.appforge.com/videos/index.html

Ogie