Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Mobile > IsMobileDevice returns false when connecting with WM 2003

IsMobileDevice returns false when connecting with WM 2003

Sacha Korell

Request.Browser("IsMobileDevice") returns false when connecting with my iPAQ
2215 (and other Windows Mobile 2003 devices), although
HTTPBrowserCapabilities "Platform" returns "WinCE".

What's going on? I'm using VS.NET2003 for development with DeviceUpdate4
installed.

I had a code snippet like:

If Not (Page.IsPostBack) Then
If (Device.IsMobileDevice) Then
RedirectToMobilePage("mobile/m_default.aspx")
Else
Response.Redirect("default.aspx")
End If
End If

It used to work just fine, but now "Device.IsMobileDevice" also returns
false.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Sacha

Sean Feldman

Hi,
why won't you assign some special value to TYPE field in web.config
specification of your iPAQ and trest it this way:

if (Device.Type == "the value you have assigned")
RedirectToMobilePage("mobile.aspx");
else
Response.Redirect(:web.aspx");

--
With the best wishes,
Sean Feldman
"Sacha Korell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Request.Browser("IsMobileDevice") returns false when connecting with my
> iPAQ
> 2215 (and other Windows Mobile 2003 devices), although
> HTTPBrowserCapabilities "Platform" returns "WinCE".
>
> What's going on? I'm using VS.NET2003 for development with DeviceUpdate4
> installed.
>
> I had a code snippet like:
>
> If Not (Page.IsPostBack) Then
> If (Device.IsMobileDevice) Then
> RedirectToMobilePage("mobile/m_default.aspx")
> Else
> Response.Redirect("default.aspx")
> End If
> End If
>
> It used to work just fine, but now "Device.IsMobileDevice" also returns
> false.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Sacha

Sacha Korell

Thanks for your reply, Sean

Well, the problem is really that I want any mobile device to be redirected
whether it's an iPAQ or a Smartphone device, but apparently devices running
Windows Mobile 2003 do not get recognized by Device.IsMobileDevice. I was
very enthusiastic when Microsoft started the whole "DeviceUpdate" thing, but
they must have quit that over a year ago. Now they refer to a vendor
(cyScape) in the machine.config that charges over $300 for new device
updates.

Here's how I have solved the problem (for now):

If (Request.Browser("IsMobileDevice") = "true") Then
RedirectToMobilePage("mobile/m_default.aspx")
Else
Dim bc As HttpBrowserCapabilities = Request.Browser

'* Will be changed to 'Select Case' later
If bc.Platform = "WinCE" Then
RedirectToMobilePage("mobile/m_default.aspx")
Else
Response.Redirect("default.aspx")
End If
End If

Sacha

"Sean Feldman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
> why won't you assign some special value to TYPE field in web.config
> specification of your iPAQ and trest it this way:
>
> if (Device.Type == "the value you have assigned")
> RedirectToMobilePage("mobile.aspx");
> else
> Response.Redirect(:web.aspx");
>

> --
> With the best wishes,
> Sean Feldman
> "Sacha Korell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Request.Browser("IsMobileDevice") returns false when connecting with my
>> iPAQ
>> 2215 (and other Windows Mobile 2003 devices), although
>> HTTPBrowserCapabilities "Platform" returns "WinCE".
>>
>> What's going on? I'm using VS.NET2003 for development with DeviceUpdate4
>> installed.
>>
>> I had a code snippet like:
>>
>> If Not (Page.IsPostBack) Then
>> If (Device.IsMobileDevice) Then
>> RedirectToMobilePage("mobile/m_default.aspx")
>> Else
>> Response.Redirect("default.aspx")
>> End If
>> End If
>>
>> It used to work just fine, but now "Device.IsMobileDevice" also returns
>> false.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Sacha

Sean Feldman

Hi,
well, frankly speaking, I can't figure out what's going on with Mobile
ASP.Net. On one hand it's a great piece of work, on other hand it's kind of
stacked. For instance, the Xhtml adapters source I've being chasing after
aren't on the MSDN or any other place. Aslo the mobile part of asp.net site
is quiet as dead place. Have a clue what are Microsoft's plans?