Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Mobile > Theory behind ASP.NET mobile device capabilities?

Reply
Thread Tools

Theory behind ASP.NET mobile device capabilities?

 
 
bonnie
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-15-2004
Hi,

Is there anyone who knows the theory behind mobile capabilities of
mobile ASP.NET? Has it anything to do with CC/PP, UAProf, or any other
standards? Where should I find this information? Thanks for any
replies.

bonnie
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
JuanDG
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-21-2004
Maybe this animation can be helpful
http://www.asp.net/mobile/flasharchi...spx?tabindex=6

--

Juan David Gomez A.
Microsoft Certified Professional
Analista de Desarrollo - PSL S.A.
Web and Wireless Banking
Medellin - Colombia

"bonnie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) m...
> Hi,
>
> Is there anyone who knows the theory behind mobile capabilities of
> mobile ASP.NET? Has it anything to do with CC/PP, UAProf, or any other
> standards? Where should I find this information? Thanks for any
> replies.
>
> bonnie



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
bonnie
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-23-2004
Hi Juan,

Thank you very much for the reply.

I have watched the animation before and now once again. It explains
well what the whole picture is like and how it works. But what I was
looking for is how Microsoft realize recognizing device capabilities
and filtering devices. W3C has made a standard, called Composite
Capabilities/Preference Profile(CC/PP), a framework for expressing
device capabilities and user preferences. OMA, former WAP Forum, has
developed its own implementation for WAP devices based on this,
UAProf. It defines an extensible vocabulary, and a protocol
transforming the profiles as well. There are some OpenSource projects
implementing CC/PP, such as DELI
(http://www-uk.hpl.hp.com/people/marbut/). Also some people are
implenting their own mechanism, such as WURFL
(http://wurfl.sourceforge.net/index.php).

But how does Microsoft's work? Does it have its own mechanism or it
follows some standard too? I can't find where to find such
information.

BR, Bonnie

"JuanDG" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> Maybe this animation can be helpful
> http://www.asp.net/mobile/flasharchi...spx?tabindex=6
>
> --
>
> Juan David Gomez A.
> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Analista de Desarrollo - PSL S.A.
> Web and Wireless Banking
> Medellin - Colombia
>
> "bonnie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) m...
> > Hi,
> >
> > Is there anyone who knows the theory behind mobile capabilities of
> > mobile ASP.NET? Has it anything to do with CC/PP, UAProf, or any other
> > standards? Where should I find this information? Thanks for any
> > replies.
> >
> > bonnie

 
Reply With Quote
 
JuanDG
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-23-2004
We'll I thought at first this was some kind of beginner question, but I see
you want "the real thing!!", so here I come!!

Microsoft has it's own implementation of the Device Capabilities assessment
written in the ASP.NET Engine (HTTP Pipelines) this pipelines are a
collection of HTTP modules

HTTP modules are classes that have access to the incoming request. These
modules can inspect the incoming request and make decisions that affect the
internal flow of the request. After passing through the specified HTTP
modules, the request reaches an HTTP handler, whose job it is to generate
the output that will be sent back to the requesting browser. all the
information about the mobile device capabilities is written in the request.

In fact, you can see a precise list of what modules are used by default by
going to the machine.config file (located in the
$WINDOWS$\Microsoft.NET\Framework\$VERSION$\CONFIG directory). Fist you can
search for an element called <sectionGroup name="system.web"> and then the
section corresponding to the devicefilters (<section name="deviceFilters"
type="System.Web.Mobile.......). And the mobile controls (<section
name="mobileControls" type="System.Web.UI.MobileControls...) they are the
main classes for mobile web development in asp.net and as you can see they
are in charged of handling requests from mobile devices.

You'll also find a <mobileControls> tag and after this tag you'll locate al
the device filters and if you have installed device updates you'll see the
changes made by them in this section. This is the most interesting part
because you'll meet the actual classes who take care of the rendering, like
System.Web.UI.MobileControls.Adapters.WmlTextBoxAd apter capable of rendering
textboxes to WML and a whole bunch of them for all the devices supported by
the framework.

then there's the <browserCaps> tag where you'll find all the set of
capabilities ASP.NET defines for each type of browser it supports, as you'll
see it's some what similar to WURFL and also very plain and simple.

You can keep browsing the machine.config and the whole config folder and at
the end you'll get the picture of how all the dirty work is done!!!!

Hope its all clear now. Cheers!!!
--

Juan David Gomez A.
Microsoft Certified Professional
Analista de Desarrollo - PSL S.A.
Web and Wireless Banking
Medellin - Colombia

"bonnie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Hi Juan,
>
> Thank you very much for the reply.
>
> I have watched the animation before and now once again. It explains
> well what the whole picture is like and how it works. But what I was
> looking for is how Microsoft realize recognizing device capabilities
> and filtering devices. W3C has made a standard, called Composite
> Capabilities/Preference Profile(CC/PP), a framework for expressing
> device capabilities and user preferences. OMA, former WAP Forum, has
> developed its own implementation for WAP devices based on this,
> UAProf. It defines an extensible vocabulary, and a protocol
> transforming the profiles as well. There are some OpenSource projects
> implementing CC/PP, such as DELI
> (http://www-uk.hpl.hp.com/people/marbut/). Also some people are
> implenting their own mechanism, such as WURFL
> (http://wurfl.sourceforge.net/index.php).
>
> But how does Microsoft's work? Does it have its own mechanism or it
> follows some standard too? I can't find where to find such
> information.
>
> BR, Bonnie
>
> "JuanDG" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
>> Maybe this animation can be helpful
>> http://www.asp.net/mobile/flasharchi...spx?tabindex=6
>>
>> --
>>
>> Juan David Gomez A.
>> Microsoft Certified Professional
>> Analista de Desarrollo - PSL S.A.
>> Web and Wireless Banking
>> Medellin - Colombia
>>
>> "bonnie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed) m...
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > Is there anyone who knows the theory behind mobile capabilities of
>> > mobile ASP.NET? Has it anything to do with CC/PP, UAProf, or any other
>> > standards? Where should I find this information? Thanks for any
>> > replies.
>> >
>> > bonnie



 
Reply With Quote
 
bonnie
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-27-2004
Hi Juan,

Thank you so much. You are really really helpful!!
I am going to do as you suggested and try to figure it out.

Thought it might be somewhat like WURFL and I was right =).

Seems standards can sleep in researchers' bag for a long while and de
facto protocols are in real use... In your opinion, is Microsoft's
better than the others?

Best regards, Bonnie

"JuanDG" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<#(E-Mail Removed)>...
> We'll I thought at first this was some kind of beginner question, but I see
> you want "the real thing!!", so here I come!!
>
> Microsoft has it's own implementation of the Device Capabilities assessment
> written in the ASP.NET Engine (HTTP Pipelines) this pipelines are a
> collection of HTTP modules
>
> HTTP modules are classes that have access to the incoming request. These
> modules can inspect the incoming request and make decisions that affect the
> internal flow of the request. After passing through the specified HTTP
> modules, the request reaches an HTTP handler, whose job it is to generate
> the output that will be sent back to the requesting browser. all the
> information about the mobile device capabilities is written in the request.
>
> In fact, you can see a precise list of what modules are used by default by
> going to the machine.config file (located in the
> $WINDOWS$\Microsoft.NET\Framework\$VERSION$\CONFIG directory). Fist you can
> search for an element called <sectionGroup name="system.web"> and then the
> section corresponding to the devicefilters (<section name="deviceFilters"
> type="System.Web.Mobile.......). And the mobile controls (<section
> name="mobileControls" type="System.Web.UI.MobileControls...) they are the
> main classes for mobile web development in asp.net and as you can see they
> are in charged of handling requests from mobile devices.
>
> You'll also find a <mobileControls> tag and after this tag you'll locate al
> the device filters and if you have installed device updates you'll see the
> changes made by them in this section. This is the most interesting part
> because you'll meet the actual classes who take care of the rendering, like
> System.Web.UI.MobileControls.Adapters.WmlTextBoxAd apter capable of rendering
> textboxes to WML and a whole bunch of them for all the devices supported by
> the framework.
>
> then there's the <browserCaps> tag where you'll find all the set of
> capabilities ASP.NET defines for each type of browser it supports, as you'll
> see it's some what similar to WURFL and also very plain and simple.
>
> You can keep browsing the machine.config and the whole config folder and at
> the end you'll get the picture of how all the dirty work is done!!!!
>
> Hope its all clear now. Cheers!!!
> --
>
> Juan David Gomez A.
> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Analista de Desarrollo - PSL S.A.
> Web and Wireless Banking
> Medellin - Colombia
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iPhone4,iPhone3,Ipad,Apple Mobile,Blackberry Mobile,HTC Mobile,LGMobile,Motorola Mobile,Nokia Mobile,Samsung Mobile chen selina C++ 0 07-13-2010 08:53 AM



Advertisments