Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Mobile > failure to connect with Sagem/Sony phones

failure to connect with Sagem/Sony phones

Nick72

Hi,

I am currently trying to locate enough information to build an ASP.NET
based website for wireless devices.
However, I have hit upon a slight problem right at the first hurdle!

I have created some basic mobile web applications and am hosting them
on my own machine for testing. I can view them from a desktop pc OK
but when I try to navigate via google's 'goto url' option via my
phone, I recieve an error along the lines of "Sorry, you could not be
connected to this site"... And that's it!
I can even browse another of my sites which is pure HTML via my phone!

So... I created a device sniffer script to log the user agent info for
each user that connects to try to find out the exact capabilities of
the phone... But nothing appears in the log for the phone at all!

Basically, for some reason, I cannot connect and cannot debug!

I phoned my mobile operator's technical people and they said that my
Sagem phone is only WAP enabled, not HTML... which confuses me even
more! I can view HTML but not WAP!

Can anyone help me here???

Thanks,

Nick

Nick

I think you need to install an ISAPI filter for WML pages (WAP)

open you IIS control panel and clickon "Web Site" then properties.
Attention not default web site but just Web Site.

Click on ISAPI Filters and you will se some examples where
you should install your WML filter.

I don't know where you can get one for free.

Bye

"Nick72" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Hi,
>
> I am currently trying to locate enough information to build an ASP.NET
> based website for wireless devices.
> However, I have hit upon a slight problem right at the first hurdle!
>
> I have created some basic mobile web applications and am hosting them
> on my own machine for testing. I can view them from a desktop pc OK
> but when I try to navigate via google's 'goto url' option via my
> phone, I recieve an error along the lines of "Sorry, you could not be
> connected to this site"... And that's it!
> I can even browse another of my sites which is pure HTML via my phone!
>
> So... I created a device sniffer script to log the user agent info for
> each user that connects to try to find out the exact capabilities of
> the phone... But nothing appears in the log for the phone at all!
>
> Basically, for some reason, I cannot connect and cannot debug!
>
> I phoned my mobile operator's technical people and they said that my
> Sagem phone is only WAP enabled, not HTML... which confuses me even
> more! I can view HTML but not WAP!
>
> Can anyone help me here???
>
> Thanks,
>
> Nick

Nick

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=555014

better this way.

bye

"Nick72" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Hi,
>
> I am currently trying to locate enough information to build an ASP.NET
> based website for wireless devices.
> However, I have hit upon a slight problem right at the first hurdle!
>
> I have created some basic mobile web applications and am hosting them
> on my own machine for testing. I can view them from a desktop pc OK
> but when I try to navigate via google's 'goto url' option via my
> phone, I recieve an error along the lines of "Sorry, you could not be
> connected to this site"... And that's it!
> I can even browse another of my sites which is pure HTML via my phone!
>
> So... I created a device sniffer script to log the user agent info for
> each user that connects to try to find out the exact capabilities of
> the phone... But nothing appears in the log for the phone at all!
>
> Basically, for some reason, I cannot connect and cannot debug!
>
> I phoned my mobile operator's technical people and they said that my
> Sagem phone is only WAP enabled, not HTML... which confuses me even
> more! I can view HTML but not WAP!
>
> Can anyone help me here???
>
> Thanks,
>
> Nick

nick lankester

hi,

thanks for your swift responses...
By the time I read your replies I had already located the MIME type info
on another site and set it up for the default web site (and children) in
iis 5.1.

This hasn't made any difference...

I have the openwave and nokia WAP simulators but I haven't been able to
get either of them to connect to anything! (with the nokia gateway
running also)...

Am I being dumb or is the following statement true:
"For a WAP enabled device to browse a site constructed in .NET mobile
toolkit, that is hosted in iis 5.1: All that's needed is for the site to
be running and the correct MIME types enabled" ?!

Am I correct in thinking that it is IIS that formats the WAP code (WML)
accoarding to the .NET mobile logic?
Or am I missing something?

Can I create a mobile web application in .NET and host it exactly as I
would a normal site, provided I use the mobile toolkit? I don't suppose
there's a "allow WAP devices" checkbox somewhere is there? lol!

Thanks,

Nick

Nick

I think we need to enable a different port than 80.
I don't know which one.

The message i got fro my mobile was :

"The server can't asnwer"

The i think my mobile was able to see the server but not able to communicate
because of the wrong port.

Usually 80 is HTTP.

I guess WAP is different.

"nick lankester" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> hi,
>
> thanks for your swift responses...
> By the time I read your replies I had already located the MIME type info
> on another site and set it up for the default web site (and children) in
> iis 5.1.
>
> This hasn't made any difference...
>
> I have the openwave and nokia WAP simulators but I haven't been able to
> get either of them to connect to anything! (with the nokia gateway
> running also)...
>
> Am I being dumb or is the following statement true:
> "For a WAP enabled device to browse a site constructed in .NET mobile
> toolkit, that is hosted in iis 5.1: All that's needed is for the site to
> be running and the correct MIME types enabled" ?!
>
> Am I correct in thinking that it is IIS that formats the WAP code (WML)
> accoarding to the .NET mobile logic?
> Or am I missing something?
>
> Can I create a mobile web application in .NET and host it exactly as I
> would a normal site, provided I use the mobile toolkit? I don't suppose
> there's a "allow WAP devices" checkbox somewhere is there? lol!
>
> Thanks,
>
> Nick

Nick

They are saying that the port is 80, but some cellphones
could require different ports !!!!!

"nick lankester" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> hi,
>
> thanks for your swift responses...
> By the time I read your replies I had already located the MIME type info
> on another site and set it up for the default web site (and children) in
> iis 5.1.
>
> This hasn't made any difference...
>
> I have the openwave and nokia WAP simulators but I haven't been able to
> get either of them to connect to anything! (with the nokia gateway
> running also)...
>
> Am I being dumb or is the following statement true:
> "For a WAP enabled device to browse a site constructed in .NET mobile
> toolkit, that is hosted in iis 5.1: All that's needed is for the site to
> be running and the correct MIME types enabled" ?!
>
> Am I correct in thinking that it is IIS that formats the WAP code (WML)
> accoarding to the .NET mobile logic?
> Or am I missing something?
>
> Can I create a mobile web application in .NET and host it exactly as I
> would a normal site, provided I use the mobile toolkit? I don't suppose
> there's a "allow WAP devices" checkbox somewhere is there? lol!
>
> Thanks,
>
> Nick

nick lankester

I have searched the web for any reference to port numbers used for WAP.
There's no mention on MSDN either.

Won't IIS always push things through port 80?

Are you saying that I need to configure multiple port outputs to suppot
WAP? Why isn't this in any manuals?
You may well be right, it just seems... well... Shoddy!

but that's Micro$oft for you!

The only thing I can think of to try is to remove my router and firewall
and see if I still have probs. Not a very nice answer!!

thnx

Nick

No i was wrong

Supposly it's the same port.