Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Speed of Development

Reply
Thread Tools

Speed of Development

 
 
Simon Harvey
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-20-2004
Hi All,

I have a colleague that I wprk with that develops using ASP. I develop using
ASP.net.

He seems to make sites much faster than me and I am wondering if its because
of the two different technologies. I use codebehinds as standard

Does anyone else find that developing with ASP.net takes more work than asp.

I'm trying to avoid the conclusion that I'm just ****. Please help!

Simon


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Curt_C [MVP]
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-20-2004
"It depends"
ASP has the ease of being able to be tossed together fairly quickly, but
often it's very wrongly done (connections open, objects not destroyed, etc).
It also has the abiltity to not have to be compiled, this is good and bad.
ASP.NET, once you are familiar with the tools, is really just as quick. Down
the line as you start to reuse classes (etc) you will find you gain speed
too and pass him by.

--
Curt Christianson
Owner/Lead Developer, DF-Software
www.Darkfalz.com


"Simon Harvey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi All,
>
> I have a colleague that I wprk with that develops using ASP. I develop

using
> ASP.net.
>
> He seems to make sites much faster than me and I am wondering if its

because
> of the two different technologies. I use codebehinds as standard
>
> Does anyone else find that developing with ASP.net takes more work than

asp.
>
> I'm trying to avoid the conclusion that I'm just ****. Please help!
>
> Simon
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
George Ter-Saakov
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-20-2004
In ASP.
Connection does not need to be closed,
Object does not need to be destroyed.

The ASP.NET gives you so many abilities that you want to utilize them all.
So it takes project to take more time. Since it has more features.

Also i bet that his ASP forms do not have any validations.

George.

"Curt_C [MVP]" <software_AT_darkfalz.com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "It depends"
> ASP has the ease of being able to be tossed together fairly quickly, but
> often it's very wrongly done (connections open, objects not destroyed,

etc).
> It also has the abiltity to not have to be compiled, this is good and bad.
> ASP.NET, once you are familiar with the tools, is really just as quick.

Down
> the line as you start to reuse classes (etc) you will find you gain speed
> too and pass him by.
>
> --
> Curt Christianson
> Owner/Lead Developer, DF-Software
> www.Darkfalz.com
>
>
> "Simon Harvey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I have a colleague that I wprk with that develops using ASP. I develop

> using
> > ASP.net.
> >
> > He seems to make sites much faster than me and I am wondering if its

> because
> > of the two different technologies. I use codebehinds as standard
> >
> > Does anyone else find that developing with ASP.net takes more work than

> asp.
> >
> > I'm trying to avoid the conclusion that I'm just ****. Please help!
> >
> > Simon
> >
> >

>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Curt_C [MVP]
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-20-2004
> In ASP.
> Connection does not need to be closed,
> Object does not need to be destroyed.
>

not true really.... they will eventually go away, but in the meantime they
can, and will, eat major resources. It's always better to explicitly
close/kill them.

> Also i bet that his ASP forms do not have any validations.
>

some of the ASP.NET ones are clientside though, and could be replicated in
ASP.


--
Curt Christianson
Owner/Lead Developer, DF-Software
www.Darkfalz.com


 
Reply With Quote
 
Peter O'Reilly
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-20-2004
A programmer's level of experience is of much greater magnitude than which
development tool is used in terms of speed of development. (I'm talking
about same generation tools, e.g. not programming in assembler v. visual
basic)
Experience, along with how motivated your staff is, is even more so the case
within all that comprises a development project.

That said, I consider myself (equally) experienced with classic ASP and
ASP.NET. Comparing the two tools, in my experience using ASP.NET results in
much more rapid development due to intellisense, compiling, and true
debugging.
It's also a much more pleasurable experience.

--
Peter O'Reilly


 
Reply With Quote
 
Alvin Bruney [MVP]
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-20-2004
dito

--
Regards,
Alvin Bruney [ASP.NET MVP]
Got tidbits? Get it here...
http://tinyurl.com/27cok
"Peter O'Reilly" <(E-Mail Removed)!N!O!.S!P!AM!> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>A programmer's level of experience is of much greater magnitude than which
> development tool is used in terms of speed of development. (I'm talking
> about same generation tools, e.g. not programming in assembler v. visual
> basic)
> Experience, along with how motivated your staff is, is even more so the
> case
> within all that comprises a development project.
>
> That said, I consider myself (equally) experienced with classic ASP and
> ASP.NET. Comparing the two tools, in my experience using ASP.NET results
> in
> much more rapid development due to intellisense, compiling, and true
> debugging.
> It's also a much more pleasurable experience.
>
> --
> Peter O'Reilly
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
George Ter-Saakov
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-22-2004
I was talking about ASP (not ASP.NET)
In ASP objects are released when they go out of scope.

And there is not need to close connections or destroy objects.

There was a bug though in earlier versions of ADO when due to the cyclic
reference between recordset and connection the connection will not be closed
even if it goes out of scope.

George.


"Curt_C [MVP]" <software_AT_darkfalz.com> wrote in message
news:ukRS$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > In ASP.
> > Connection does not need to be closed,
> > Object does not need to be destroyed.
> >

> not true really.... they will eventually go away, but in the meantime they
> can, and will, eat major resources. It's always better to explicitly
> close/kill them.
>
> > Also i bet that his ASP forms do not have any validations.
> >

> some of the ASP.NET ones are clientside though, and could be replicated in
> ASP.
>
>
> --
> Curt Christianson
> Owner/Lead Developer, DF-Software
> www.Darkfalz.com
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Peter O'Reilly
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-22-2004
> There was a bug though in earlier versions of ADO when due to the cyclic
> reference between recordset and connection the connection will not be

closed
> even if it goes out of scope.


It was never a bug. In theory what you write should be the case (and is ok
for a very light load), but practice tells me otherwise. Some RDBMS like
Oracle 8,9i or MS Access (Jet) are much less forgiving than SQL Server with
respect to not closing connections and recordsets. I have found this to be
the case with IIS 4, 5, 5.1. Load testing a classic ASP application will
make this immediately apparent.

Microsoft/MSDN docs have consistently parroted all along that ADO recordsets
and connection objects should be explicitly closed. The same is true, even
more so for the .Net framework's datareader and connection objects. For
instance, it is not possible to (re)use another datareader on the connection
without closing the first. The result is an exception raised/run time
error.

--
Peter O'Reilly


 
Reply With Quote
 
Kevin Spencer
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-22-2004
> And there is not need to close connections or destroy objects.

Hang on a second, George. Connections DO need to be closed, or disposed.
Setting objects to Nothing does Nothing. Closing Connections frees them up
for re-use.

--
HTH,
Kevin Spencer
..Net Developer
Microsoft MVP
Big things are made up
of lots of little things.

"George Ter-Saakov" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I was talking about ASP (not ASP.NET)
> In ASP objects are released when they go out of scope.
>
> And there is not need to close connections or destroy objects.
>
> There was a bug though in earlier versions of ADO when due to the cyclic
> reference between recordset and connection the connection will not be

closed
> even if it goes out of scope.
>
> George.
>
>
> "Curt_C [MVP]" <software_AT_darkfalz.com> wrote in message
> news:ukRS$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > In ASP.
> > > Connection does not need to be closed,
> > > Object does not need to be destroyed.
> > >

> > not true really.... they will eventually go away, but in the meantime

they
> > can, and will, eat major resources. It's always better to explicitly
> > close/kill them.
> >
> > > Also i bet that his ASP forms do not have any validations.
> > >

> > some of the ASP.NET ones are clientside though, and could be replicated

in
> > ASP.
> >
> >
> > --
> > Curt Christianson
> > Owner/Lead Developer, DF-Software
> > www.Darkfalz.com
> >
> >

>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
George Ter-Saakov
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-22-2004
I am talking about ASP. Not ASP.NET.
In ASP.NET connection must be closed.
In ASP it's not necessary.

George.


"Kevin Spencer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> > And there is not need to close connections or destroy objects.

>
> Hang on a second, George. Connections DO need to be closed, or disposed.
> Setting objects to Nothing does Nothing. Closing Connections frees them up
> for re-use.
>
> --
> HTH,
> Kevin Spencer
> .Net Developer
> Microsoft MVP
> Big things are made up
> of lots of little things.
>
> "George Ter-Saakov" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I was talking about ASP (not ASP.NET)
> > In ASP objects are released when they go out of scope.
> >
> > And there is not need to close connections or destroy objects.
> >
> > There was a bug though in earlier versions of ADO when due to the cyclic
> > reference between recordset and connection the connection will not be

> closed
> > even if it goes out of scope.
> >
> > George.
> >
> >
> > "Curt_C [MVP]" <software_AT_darkfalz.com> wrote in message
> > news:ukRS$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > > In ASP.
> > > > Connection does not need to be closed,
> > > > Object does not need to be destroyed.
> > > >
> > > not true really.... they will eventually go away, but in the meantime

> they
> > > can, and will, eat major resources. It's always better to explicitly
> > > close/kill them.
> > >
> > > > Also i bet that his ASP forms do not have any validations.
> > > >
> > > some of the ASP.NET ones are clientside though, and could be

replicated
> in
> > > ASP.
> > >
> > >
> > > --
> > > Curt Christianson
> > > Owner/Lead Developer, DF-Software
> > > www.Darkfalz.com
> > >
> > >

> >
> >

>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Web Application development vs windows client development cabernet123@hotmail.com ASP .Net 0 11-17-2005 12:09 AM
enterprise application development versus traditional software development jrefactors@hotmail.com Java 2 01-15-2005 10:45 PM
development environment architecture for ASP.NET development team Akhlaq Khan ASP .Net 4 09-27-2004 01:33 PM
speed speed speed a.metselaar Computer Support 14 12-30-2003 03:34 AM
Re: Development best practices and knowing when to exercise control over development Kevin Spencer ASP .Net 2 08-06-2003 09:33 PM



Advertisments