Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Datagrid Control > How to avoid hardcoding DataKeyField name ?

How to avoid hardcoding DataKeyField name ?

Jeff Robichaud

Hi,

How can I avoid hardcoding the name of the DataKeyField property of a
DataGrid ?

Like:

datagrid.DataSource = someSource;
datagrid.DataKeyField = "employeeId";

The above works but it's not what I want, because whenever the name of the
field changes, I'm screwed. Avoiding this is the purpose of strongly-typed
datasets (or using collections or whatever data layer abstraction mechanism
you like) as I understand it, but I'd like to know what you n-tier gurus do
in this case ?

Thanks,
- Jeff