Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Datagrid Control > Welcome to Gridview Hell

Welcome to Gridview Hell

C. David Johnson

Ok I am working on the simplest thing ever that is turning in to the
biggest train wreck ever.

I have a database with a series of photo albums and the image path &
name for each image. I pass the info to the gridview via the Query
string. The thumbnails load with no problems as long as I use the
ASP:Images control

I tried to use the imagebutton but I could not dynamically set the
image property

My problem comes when I want to run a process when the user clicks on
the image in the gridview.

When the image is clicked I need to make a trip to the DB to get the
detail for the image and load the non thumbnail image., Caption and
story behind the image…

In 2003 I was able to reference invisible items in the grid. Did they
change that in 2005 or am I smoking crack and not sharing again.

For every image I have an ID, ImageName , Caption and Story. Now I
just need to be able to make a call by what ever means necessary to
pull the data back and populate the detail portion of the page,

Any Ideas?

Teemu Keiski

Hi,

invisible item's data isn't kept in ViewState in 2005 as it was in previous
versions, yes. If you want a field/fields to be non-visible and use it, set
it/them into DataKeyNames ( DataKeyNames="field1,field2,fieldN" and so on )
when they become available via data keys (or bind the data into hidden
Labels and access them, being hidden concerns only field objects )

--
Teemu Keiski
ASP.NET MVP, AspInsider

news(E-Mail Removed)...