Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Datagrid Control > Long list of items in my datagrid, editing is a pain!!

Long list of items in my datagrid, editing is a pain!!

David Lozzi

Hello,

I'm loading a datagrid from an XML file. I'm using datagrids edit
functionality and its working great. My problem is that this list is 667
records. When I press Edit the page reloads and starts at the top. Then I
have to scroll all the way down to get back to the item I'm editing. I guess
I have one of two questions that needs answering:

1) Can I page through XML? If So, How?

2) Is there a way to possibly use anchors so that the page refreshes and
moves to the record I am working with?

Thanks a ton!!!

--
David Lozzi
Web Applications Developer

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi David,

Hi Welcome to ASPNET newsgroup.
Regarding on the questions you mentioned, here are some of my suggestions:

1) Can I page through XML? If So, How?
===================================
For paging , since you're not using the ADO.NET data components (DataSet,
DataTable..), I think you'd use the custom paging of the asp.net datagrid.
What we need to do is register the Paging event for datagrid and then bind
the certain page's data items to the datagrid in the Paging event handler.
here are some msdn reference on this:

#Specifying Paging Behavior in a DataGrid Web Server Control
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en...yingPagingBeha
viorInDataGridWebControl.asp?frame=true

#Walkthrough: Creating Paged Data Access Using a Web Forms Page
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en...roughdisplayin
gdatainlistboxesonwebformspage.asp?frame=true

2) Is there a way to possibly use anchors so that the page refreshes and
moves to the record I am working with?
=======================================
For keeping page's focus on the current editing item (or selecting
item...). We have the following two options:

a) register a simple clientscript code whch use the html element's focus()
method to set focus on the current item when the page has been loaded at
clientside( Page.RegisterStartupScript...). However, in this case we need
to have a certain identified control in our template column so that we can
use that control to set the focus.

e.g:
we have the following template column:
=======================
<asp:TemplateColumn>
<ItemTemplate>
<asp:TextBox ID="txtFocus" Runat="server" Width="1"
Height="1"></asp:TextBox>
</ItemTemplate>
<EditItemTemplate>
<asp:TextBox ID="txtFocus" Runat="server" Width="1"
Height="1"></asp:TextBox>
</EditItemTemplate>
</asp:TemplateColumn>
======================

we can use the following code in ItemCommand to set the focus:
==========================
private void DataGrid1_EditCommand(object source,
{
DataGrid1.EditItemIndex = e.Item.ItemIndex;
DataGrid1.DataSource = GetDataSource();
DataGrid1.DataBind();

Control ctrl = e.Item.FindControl("txtFocus");
string script = @"<script language='javascript'>
document.getElementById('{0}').focus();
</script>";

Page.RegisterStartupScript("page_set_focus",string .Format(script,ctrl.Client
ID));
}
========================

b) We can turn on smartNavigation on the page we need to keep focus between
postback

IMO, I prefer the a) since it's more lightweight( smartnavigation will
somewhat impact performance )

Hope helps. Thanks,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

--------------------
| From: "David Lozzi" <(E-Mail Removed)>
| Subject: Long list of items in my datagrid, editing is a pain!!
| Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 16:26:33 -0400
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.datagridc ontrol
|
| Hello,
|
| I'm loading a datagrid from an XML file. I'm using datagrids edit
| functionality and its working great. My problem is that this list is 667
| records. When I press Edit the page reloads and starts at the top. Then I
| have to scroll all the way down to get back to the item I'm editing. I
guess
| I have one of two questions that needs answering:
|
| 1) Can I page through XML? If So, How?
|
| 2) Is there a way to possibly use anchors so that the page refreshes and
| moves to the record I am working with?
|
| Thanks a ton!!!
|
| --
| David Lozzi
| Web Applications Developer
| dlozzi@(remove-this)delphi-ts.com

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi David,

How are you doing on this issue , does the things in my last reply helps a
little? If there're anything else we can help, please feel free to post
here. Thanks,

> [...]

| }
| ========================
|

| b) We can turn on smartNavigation on the page we need to keep focus
between
| postback
|
| IMO, I prefer the a) since it's more lightweight( smartnavigation will
| somewhat impact performance )
|
| Hope helps. Thanks,
|
| Steven Cheng
| Microsoft Online Support

| rights.)

| --------------------
| | From: "David Lozzi" <(E-Mail Removed)>
| | Subject: Long list of items in my datagrid, editing is a pain!!
| | Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 16:26:33 -0400
| | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.datagridc ontrol
| | have to scroll all the way down to get back to the item I'm editing. I
| guess
| | I have one of two questions that needs answering:
| |
| | 1) Can I page through XML? If So, How?
| |
| | 2) Is there a way to possibly use anchors so that the page refreshes
and
| | moves to the record I am working with?
| |
| | Thanks a ton!!!
| |
| | --
| | David Lozzi
| | Web Applications Developer
| | dlozzi@(remove-this)delphi-ts.com
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |

David Lozzi

Yes, I'm using paging for the datagrid, which works great. Thank you!!

--
David Lozzi
Web Applications Developer
dlozzi@(remove-this)delphi-ts.com

news:HQX%(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]
> | somewhat impact performance )
> |
> | Hope helps. Thanks,
> |
> | Steven Cheng
> | Microsoft Online Support
> |
> | Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
> | (This posting is provided "AS IS", with no warranties, and confers no
> | rights.)

> | --------------------
> | | From: "David Lozzi" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> | | Subject: Long list of items in my datagrid, editing is a pain!!
> | | Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 16:26:33 -0400
> | | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.datagridc ontrol
> | | have to scroll all the way down to get back to the item I'm editing. I
> | guess
> | | I have one of two questions that needs answering:
> | |
> | | 1) Can I page through XML? If So, How?
> | |
> | | 2) Is there a way to possibly use anchors so that the page refreshes

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Thank you David,

Please feel to post here when you need any further assistance.

Regards,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)
--------------------
| From: "David Lozzi" <(E-Mail Removed)>
| Subject: Re: Long list of items in my datagrid, editing is a pain!!
| Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2005 11:46:44 -0500
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.datagridc ontrol
|
| Yes, I'm using paging for the datagrid, which works great. Thank you!!
|
| --
| David Lozzi
| Web Applications Developer
| dlozzi@(remove-this)delphi-ts.com
|

| "Steven Cheng[MSFT]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
| news:HQX%(E-Mail Removed)...
| > Hi David,
| >
| > How are you doing on this issue , does the things in my last reply
helps a
| > little? If there're anything else we can help, please feel free to post
| > here. Thanks,
| >
| > Steven Cheng
| > Microsoft Online Support

| > rights.)
| > --------------------
| > | From: (E-Mail Removed) (Steven Cheng[MSFT])
| > | Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 05:33:55 GMT
| > | Subject: RE: Long list of items in my datagrid, editing is a pain!!
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.datagridc ontrol
| > |
| > | Hi David,
| > |
| > | Hi Welcome to ASPNET newsgroup.
| > | Regarding on the questions you mentioned, here are some of my
| > suggestions:
| > |
| > | 1) Can I page through XML? If So, How?
| > | ===================================
| > | For paging , since you're not using the ADO.NET data components
| > (DataSet,
| > | DataTable..), I think you'd use the custom paging of the asp.net
| > datagrid.
| > | What we need to do is register the Paging event for datagrid and then
| > bind
| > | the certain page's data items to the datagrid in the Paging event
| > handler.
| > | here are some msdn reference on this:
| > |
| > | #Specifying Paging Behavior in a DataGrid Web Server Control
| > |

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en...yingPagingBeha
| > | viorInDataGridWebControl.asp?frame=true
| > |
| > | #Walkthrough: Creating Paged Data Access Using a Web Forms Page
| > |

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en...roughdisplayin
| > | gdatainlistboxesonwebformspage.asp?frame=true
| > |
| > |
| > | 2) Is there a way to possibly use anchors so that the page refreshes
and
| > | moves to the record I am working with?
| > | =======================================
| > | For keeping page's focus on the current editing item (or selecting
| > | item...). We have the following two options:
| > |
| > | a) register a simple clientscript code whch use the html element's
| > focus()
| > | method to set focus on the current item when the page has been loaded
at
| > | clientside( Page.RegisterStartupScript...). However, in this case we
| > need
| > | to have a certain identified control in our template column so that we
| > can
| > | use that control to set the focus.
| > |
| > | e.g:
| > | we have the following template column:
| > | =======================
| > | <asp:TemplateColumn>
| > | <ItemTemplate>
| > | <asp:TextBox ID="txtFocus" Runat="server" Width="1"
| > | Height="1"></asp:TextBox>
| > | </ItemTemplate>
| > | <EditItemTemplate>
| > | <asp:TextBox ID="txtFocus" Runat="server" Width="1"
| > | Height="1"></asp:TextBox>
| > | </EditItemTemplate>
| > | </asp:TemplateColumn>
| > | ======================
| > |
| > | we can use the following code in ItemCommand to set the focus:
| > | ==========================
| > | private void DataGrid1_EditCommand(object source,
| > | System.Web.UI.WebControls.DataGridCommandEventArgs e)
| > | {
| > | DataGrid1.EditItemIndex = e.Item.ItemIndex;
| > | DataGrid1.DataSource = GetDataSource();
| > | DataGrid1.DataBind();
| > |
| > | Control ctrl = e.Item.FindControl("txtFocus");
| > | string script = @"<script language='javascript'>
| > | document.getElementById('{0}').focus();
| > | </script>";
| > |
| > |
| > |

Page.RegisterStartupScript("page_set_focus",string .Format(script,ctrl.Client
| > | ID));
| > | }
| > | ========================
| > |
| > |
| > | b) We can turn on smartNavigation on the page we need to keep focus
| > between
| > | postback
| > |
| > | IMO, I prefer the a) since it's more lightweight( smartnavigation will
| > | somewhat impact performance )
| > |
| > | Hope helps. Thanks,
| > |
| > | Steven Cheng
| > | Microsoft Online Support
| > |
| > | Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
| > | (This posting is provided "AS IS", with no warranties, and confers no
| > | rights.)
| > |
| > |
| > |