Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > n00b Question re: MSDE SQL 2000 Set-up

n00b Question re: MSDE SQL 2000 Set-up

newgenre

I am attempting to use a program called EasyDisc. It installs a forum on
your web site, where people can post messages. Basic stuff. I have set up
my XP machine as the server, and use IIS. The EasyDisc program requires I
set up an SQL Server, so I installed MSDE SQL Server 2000 and created an
instance of it on my C drive. The instance is called
myfirstDBMSSQL$MYFIRSTDB. (I guess my attempt to name the instance something
simple backfired.) Anyways, I have the instance on my drive, but do not know
how to proceed until I can answer the following questions:
1. How do I find out what my SQL server name is?
2. What is my username, password, and database name?

Thanks for responding to these n00by questions

Jim

Curt_C [MVP]

I'd suggest you hit the MSDE newsgroup, you'll probably get more results

--
Curt Christianson
Owner/Lead Developer, DF-Software

"newgenre" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:t8Ugc.501$(E-Mail Removed) k.net...
> I am attempting to use a program called EasyDisc. It installs a forum on
> your web site, where people can post messages. Basic stuff. I have set up
> my XP machine as the server, and use IIS. The EasyDisc program requires I
> set up an SQL Server, so I installed MSDE SQL Server 2000 and created an
> instance of it on my C drive. The instance is called
> myfirstDBMSSQL$MYFIRSTDB. (I guess my attempt to name the instance

something
> simple backfired.) Anyways, I have the instance on my drive, but do not

know
> how to proceed until I can answer the following questions:
> 1. How do I find out what my SQL server name is?
> 2. What is my username, password, and database name?
>
> Thanks for responding to these n00by questions
>
> Jim

Matt Berther

Hello newgenre,

> I am attempting to use a program called EasyDisc. It installs a forum
> on
> your web site, where people can post messages. Basic stuff. I have
> set up
> my XP machine as the server, and use IIS. The EasyDisc program
> requires I
> set up an SQL Server, so I installed MSDE SQL Server 2000 and created
> an
> instance of it on my C drive. The instance is called
> myfirstDBMSSQL$MYFIRSTDB. (I guess my attempt to name the instance
> something
> simple backfired.) Anyways, I have the instance on my drive, but do

What does this have to do with ASP.NET? Please post your questions to the appropriate news groups.

> 1. How do I find out what my SQL server name is?

myfistDBMSSQL\MYFIRSTDB
> 2. What is my username, password, and database name?

A default install of MSDE will default to Windows authentication unless you specifically override it in the setup.ini file. The database name is the name of the database used by your program.

--
Matt Berther
http://www.mattberther.com

MSDE on Windows 2000 Pro David Lozzi ASP .Net 3 05-16-2006 03:01 PM
MSDE 2000 Connection String hfk0 ASP .Net 0 03-15-2006 06:58 PM
msde-2000 Dave ASP .Net 1 11-08-2004 01:37 PM
n00b Help Setting up MSDE SQL Server newgenre ASP .Net 4 04-27-2004 04:13 PM
Re: Question: MSDE 2000 / Enterprise Manager VB Programmer ASP .Net 3 08-18-2003 08:14 PM

Advertisments