Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Datagrid Control > DataGrid for Data Entry

DataGrid for Data Entry

Abdul Malik Said

Hope you can help me in decisions to make for my datagrid design:

I have a pivoted dataset. The rowset I took from the database query has been
pivoted in the codebehind page. This is the data from the system to display,
which I want to make completely editable. I just want a text box in each
cell of the grid, so the user can edit them.

A couple of questions:

1) How do I let the user copy and paste multiple values from and to the
grid? Just like excel...
2) How can I best keep track of the edits the user makes so that when they
save the changes, I can just update the dirty cells?

I know this is a bit vague, since it is mostly a design just now. So far, I
have not added the text boxes to my template columns. I am in the process of
doing that now. I just want to know if the datagrid is actually going to be
able to do what I want it to do. I don't want an "edit column" type
scenario, where there is an edit/delete/etc. buttons. I want it to be more
like excel.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Malik

Scott M.

I don't think you can have a multiple copy paste scenario here.

After edits are made, just take those new values and store them in your
dataset. When you update your DataAdapter, it will look at the dirty rows
of the DataSet and automatically update only those rows.

"Abdul Malik Said" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%23IXr%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hope you can help me in decisions to make for my datagrid design:
>
> I have a pivoted dataset. The rowset I took from the database query has
> been
> pivoted in the codebehind page. This is the data from the system to
> display,
> which I want to make completely editable. I just want a text box in each
> cell of the grid, so the user can edit them.
>
> A couple of questions:
>
> 1) How do I let the user copy and paste multiple values from and to the
> grid? Just like excel...
> 2) How can I best keep track of the edits the user makes so that when they
> save the changes, I can just update the dirty cells?
>
> I know this is a bit vague, since it is mostly a design just now. So far,
> have not added the text boxes to my template columns. I am in the process
> of
> doing that now. I just want to know if the datagrid is actually going to
> be
> able to do what I want it to do. I don't want an "edit column" type
> scenario, where there is an edit/delete/etc. buttons. I want it to be more
> like excel.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks,
> Malik

Elton Wang

Hi Abdul,

Why do you want to use Web application for bulk data
inputting? Due to client-server mode, network
communication constraint, normally web application is not
good choice for bulk data inputting.

Elton Wang

Abdul Malik Said

Elton,

I am upgrading an existing web application that allows the user to enter
data using an ActiveX control. I have to get rid of the ActiveX control
(3rd-party) and make it a dot-net solution.

I don't anticipate any problem with performance of the web app because it is
an Intranet-based application. All of the users will be on the same domain
as the Web Server, so their requests to update data will go through quickly.
The application also allows for bulk data input directly from a file, but I
need to enable it from within the web app so users will be able to update
individual values.

Thanks for your comment. This is exactly the kind of feedback that helps,
because I am in the design phase. This is the time to change my mind about
anything before I start committing myself to an implementation!

Thanks,
Malik

"Elton Wang" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:04fb01c5176f$13b9f590$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Abdul,
>
> Why do you want to use Web application for bulk data
> inputting? Due to client-server mode, network
> communication constraint, normally web application is not
> good choice for bulk data inputting.
>
> Elton Wang
> (E-Mail Removed)

Abdul Malik Said

Scott,

Thanks for your advice on the DataAdapter. Now that I know it is possible, I
will start implementing that functionality.

I am still holding out for multiple copy and paste... I really want it! I'm
hoping that Template columns with text boxes might work this way, but I may
have to force them to do this or write some javascript to make it happen. My
initial reaction was the same as yours, though, that this may not work. Only
thing to do now is try it and see...

Thanks for your advice, and I will post back here if I find anything about
multiple copy-and pastes.

Malik

news:(E-Mail Removed)...