Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Can't get Wireless Zero Config to work

Can't get Wireless Zero Config to work

erobison@gmail.com

I installed JiWire Spotlock on a Windows XP laptop (with SP2 and all
patches), played with it for a while, and then uninstalled it.

Since the uninstall, Windows Wireless Zero Config no longer works. It
worked fine before I installed Spotlock.

The "View Available Wireless Networks" tab says that windows can't
configure wireless connections.

If I open the network properties window, I only have the General and
Advanced tabs. The wireless tab is gone completely. I've tried
reinstalling SP2, and all the wireless device drivers, with no luck.

The wireless zero config service still shows up in the Services window,
but starting it by hand fails. WZC depends on the NDIS I/O mode
protocol, and RPC. RPC starts and runs fine. NDIS seems to also work
OK.

How does one reinstall or repair WZC?

Philip Ashley

try this

C:\WINDOWS\inf\netwzc.inf

right click/ install

hth

philip ashley

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>I installed JiWire Spotlock on a Windows XP laptop (with SP2 and all
> patches), played with it for a while, and then uninstalled it.
>
> Since the uninstall, Windows Wireless Zero Config no longer works. It
> worked fine before I installed Spotlock.
>
> The "View Available Wireless Networks" tab says that windows can't
> configure wireless connections.
>
> If I open the network properties window, I only have the General and
> Advanced tabs. The wireless tab is gone completely. I've tried
> reinstalling SP2, and all the wireless device drivers, with no luck.
>
> The wireless zero config service still shows up in the Services window,
> but starting it by hand fails. WZC depends on the NDIS I/O mode
> protocol, and RPC. RPC starts and runs fine. NDIS seems to also work
> OK.
>
> How does one reinstall or repair WZC?

Diamontina Cocktail

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>I installed JiWire Spotlock on a Windows XP laptop (with SP2 and all
> patches), played with it for a while, and then uninstalled it.
>
> Since the uninstall, Windows Wireless Zero Config no longer works. It
> worked fine before I installed Spotlock.

If you have XP, do a restore to a point before you installed spotlock.

erobison@gmail.com

yup, tried that shortly after I posted. It installs WZC ok, but
doesn't fix the problem. Thanks for the suggestion!

ericr

erobison@gmail.com

Another good idea. Too bad I turned system restores off to get more
disk space.

Thanks!

ericr

Philip Ashley

try this

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/winsockxpfix.html

hth

philip ashley

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>I installed JiWire Spotlock on a Windows XP laptop (with SP2 and all
> patches), played with it for a while, and then uninstalled it.
>
> Since the uninstall, Windows Wireless Zero Config no longer works. It
> worked fine before I installed Spotlock.
>
> The "View Available Wireless Networks" tab says that windows can't
> configure wireless connections.
>
> If I open the network properties window, I only have the General and
> Advanced tabs. The wireless tab is gone completely. I've tried
> reinstalling SP2, and all the wireless device drivers, with no luck.
>
> The wireless zero config service still shows up in the Services window,
> but starting it by hand fails. WZC depends on the NDIS I/O mode
> protocol, and RPC. RPC starts and runs fine. NDIS seems to also work
> OK.
>
> How does one reinstall or repair WZC?

Diamontina Cocktail

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Another good idea. Too bad I turned system restores off to get more
> disk space.
>
> Thanks!
>
> ericr

That'll teach you! Never turn system restore off!

Did you use the latest HiJackThis to see where it is perched and get rid of
it?

=?Utf-8?B?RHJhZ29ueA==?=

i suggest its a the hotspot finder, much like when running any network
stumbler, WWZC is either stopped or if it detects some one else has come to
teh party, does not display.

either remove spotlock, or stop spotlock looking services until wwzc shows
back up.

"(E-Mail Removed)" wrote:

> I installed JiWire Spotlock on a Windows XP laptop (with SP2 and all
> patches), played with it for a while, and then uninstalled it.
>
> Since the uninstall, Windows Wireless Zero Config no longer works. It
> worked fine before I installed Spotlock.
>
> The "View Available Wireless Networks" tab says that windows can't
> configure wireless connections.
>
> If I open the network properties window, I only have the General and
> Advanced tabs. The wireless tab is gone completely. I've tried
> reinstalling SP2, and all the wireless device drivers, with no luck.
>
> The wireless zero config service still shows up in the Services window,
> but starting it by hand fails. WZC depends on the NDIS I/O mode
> protocol, and RPC. RPC starts and runs fine. NDIS seems to also work
> OK.
>
> How does one reinstall or repair WZC?

=?Utf-8?B?SmVucyBPbHNlbg==?=

Hi

I've got the same problem with a D-Link card (DWL-650+). Did you solve the
prolbem? If yes please sent me a link.

Yours
Jens Olsen