Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Datagrid Control > C++ or VB? Thanks.

C++ or VB? Thanks.

Miguel Dias Moura

Hello,

i am working in ASP.Net / VB web sites. However i need to take a
decision so i can buy some books and start studing some subjects.

For Web: C++.net or VB.net?
For Aplications: C++ or VB?

What are the positive and negative things about each one?
What should i choose?

I was looking at Visual page in Microsoft web site but it is difficult
to me to make a choice.

Thank You,
Miguel

Michelle Hlaing

Hi Miguel,

The choice of a language is an individual's preference and it really depends on many factors, including:

1) How easy you would pick up a language
2) How comfortable are you with using it
3) Depending on the type of application and what you would like to do with it can also determine the choice for a particular language

It really comes down to what the application needs to achieve. VB .Net and C# are both useful to learn when it comes to web applications but C++ .Net might
be more prefereable for a particular desktop application.

All in all, I have found that both languages have been essential and is handy in having both at your fingertips. I have done a bit of search on Google and
have found the following sites to be useful:

Managed C++.NET vs VB.NET vs C#.NET: http://www.dotnet247.com/247referenc...43/217231.aspx

C# or VB.NET - World War III:http://www.c-sharpcorner.com/Article...BNETWW3SSK.asp

Some older articles:

VB or not VB: http://www.shagrouni.com/english/software/vbnot.html

Programming Language Comparison: http://www.jvoegele.com/software/langcomp.html

VB faster than C++: http://discuss.fogcreek.com/joelonso...ow&ixPost=7598

In terms of books, I have always had a preference for the ones published by Microsoft Press as they come in a wide variety and includes great step by step
examples for the common things that one might be attempting while building an application.

Hope that helps,

Michelle Hlaing

Microsoft Support Professional

***Disclaimer: This posting is provided "as is" with no warranties and confers no rights.***