Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Datagrid Control > DataKeyField causes DataBinder.Eval error

DataKeyField causes DataBinder.Eval error

Michael Freidgeim

Hi all,

I am using ASP.NET datagrid to show results of GOOGLE API web service.
It works fine unless I try to set DataKeyField property to the datagrid.

My grid properties are the following
<asp:datagrid id="grInternetURLs" runat="server" GridLines="Horizontal"
AutoGenerateColumns="False"
AllowPaging="True" PageSize="2" AllowCustomPaging="True"
DataKeyField="URL">

In this case the following exception is reported:
System.Web.HttpException: DataBinder.Eval: 'FSWeb.Google.ResultElement'
does not contain a property with the name URL.
at System.Web.UI.DataBinder.GetPropertyValue(Object container, String
propName)
at System.Web.UI.WebControls.DataGrid.CreateControlHi erarchy(Boolean
useDataSource)
at System.Web.UI.WebControls.BaseDataList.OnDataBindi ng(EventArgs e)
at System.Web.UI.WebControls.BaseDataList.DataBind()
at FSWeb.results2.gridResultsDataBind(DataGrid grd, IEnumerable
dataSource, Int32 nCount, Label lblResultCount, Type resType).

DataBinding accepts referrence to URL inside templatecolumns eg
<asp:hyperlink runat="server" id="lnkInternetURL" NavigateUrl='<%#
Container.DataItem.URL %>'>Link </asp:hyperlink>

It seems that DataBinder checks only PROPERTIES, not public fields.
But when VS.NET generated proxy class for Google
API("http://api.google.com/search/beta2"), it created Public Class
ResultElement with
Public URL As String

How can I workaround the issue to be able to use DataKeyField?

Michael Freidgeim
Add ".com.au" to my e-mail address to reach me by e-mail