Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Datagrid Control > Display 1 data row as multiple datagrid rows

Display 1 data row as multiple datagrid rows

Craig Banks

If a row of data in a dataset has a lot of columns the row displaying the
data in a datagrid will run way off the screen. What I'd like to do is
display a row of data over several datagrid rows so the user doesn't have to
scroll horizontally. Essentially, I want to wrap a datagrid row (not text in
individual columns) with as much control as possible. Make sense?

While this seems simple enough on the surface, I can't figure out how to do
it and the scant information I've seen on the Internet says it can't be done
without buying a 3rd party datagrid -- Infragistics' NetAdvantage was
recommended. To make a long story short, I called them and it isn't clear
their NetAdvantage product supports this either.

In the past, I've done this building HTML tables on the fly but my team at
work wants to standardize on using the datagrid since most of our developers
come from a VB6, not a web development, background.

Thanks for the help!

Jos

"Craig Banks" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> If a row of data in a dataset has a lot of columns the row displaying the
> data in a datagrid will run way off the screen. What I'd like to do is
> display a row of data over several datagrid rows so the user doesn't have

> scroll horizontally. Essentially, I want to wrap a datagrid row (not text

in
> individual columns) with as much control as possible. Make sense?
>
> While this seems simple enough on the surface, I can't figure out how to

do
> it and the scant information I've seen on the Internet says it can't be

done
> without buying a 3rd party datagrid -- Infragistics' NetAdvantage was
> recommended. To make a long story short, I called them and it isn't clear
> their NetAdvantage product supports this either.
>
> In the past, I've done this building HTML tables on the fly but my team at
> work wants to standardize on using the datagrid since most of our

developers
> come from a VB6, not a web development, background.
>
> Thanks for the help!

I would suggest using a datalist instead of a datagrid.
You will lose the advantage of the datagrid to generate all
columns automatically, so you'll need to build templates.
Sorting and paging will also require a little bit more work
with a datalist.

--

Jos Branders