Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > how to store info in a file with asp

how to store info in a file with asp

EMW

My ASPX file is opened with two arguments, namely the Width and Height of
the browser window.
Since I've got more ASPX files, I need to keep these values.
I was thinking of writing them in an XML file, but when I do this I get an
error telling me my application does not have the right to write to disk.

Suppose I place a new dataset file in the solution explorer, by adding it to
my project, do I then always have access to this file from my program and
can I update it whenever I want to or will I get the same error?

rg,
Eric

Sharon

asp.net uses a user account to access operating system resources.
your problem is that the account (i think it's "aspnet_wp")
does not have enough permissions to access the location on the disk.
you can grant permissions to the asp.net account,
but, how about storing these values in the session collection?
Session["width"] = width.
sharon.

"EMW" <SomeOne@MicroSoftdotCom> wrote in message
news:407efdaa$0$41763$(E-Mail Removed) i.nl...
> My ASPX file is opened with two arguments, namely the Width and Height of
> the browser window.
> Since I've got more ASPX files, I need to keep these values.
> I was thinking of writing them in an XML file, but when I do this I get an
> error telling me my application does not have the right to write to disk.
>
> Suppose I place a new dataset file in the solution explorer, by adding it

> my project, do I then always have access to this file from my program and
> can I update it whenever I want to or will I get the same error?
>
> rg,
> Eric

EMW

Thanks!

Could you explain a little bit more about the session collection?
And does this permissions stuff also apply about reading a file?

I want to create an XML file at my own pc with some data in it, then copy
this file to the location on the webserver, where my aspx file opens it,
reads it and then creates a table based on it.

rg,
Eric

"Sharon" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> asp.net uses a user account to access operating system resources.
> your problem is that the account (i think it's "aspnet_wp")
> does not have enough permissions to access the location on the disk.
> you can grant permissions to the asp.net account,
> but, how about storing these values in the session collection?
> Session["width"] = width.
> sharon.
>
> "EMW" <SomeOne@MicroSoftdotCom> wrote in message
> news:407efdaa$0$41763$(E-Mail Removed) i.nl...
> > My ASPX file is opened with two arguments, namely the Width and Height

of
> > the browser window.
> > Since I've got more ASPX files, I need to keep these values.
> > I was thinking of writing them in an XML file, but when I do this I get

an
> > error telling me my application does not have the right to write to

disk.

> > Suppose I place a new dataset file in the solution explorer, by adding

it
> > my project, do I then always have access to this file from my program

and
> > can I update it whenever I want to or will I get the same error?
> >
> > rg,
> > Eric

Sharon

"EMW" <SomeOne@MicroSoftdotCom> wrote in message
news:407f739f$0$41764$(E-Mail Removed) i.nl...
> Thanks!
>
> Could you explain a little bit more about the session collection?

session is a basic concept when programming for a multiple users
environment.
(which internet is)
theres plenty to read about it in msdn.
> And does this permissions stuff also apply about reading a file?

yes.
any type of access.

> I want to create an XML file at my own pc with some data in it, then copy
> this file to the location on the webserver, where my aspx file opens it,
> reads it and then creates a table based on it.

i can think of two ways to do it:
1. transform the xml against xsl document.
2. load the xml into a dataset from which you can produce a dataview
for a datagrid on your page.