Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Cannot browse My Network Places with WPA-PSK

Cannot browse My Network Places with WPA-PSK

Marek Gold

Please excuse this extra post but I felt the other post may have been a bit
confusing.

I have the following scenario.

D-Link DI-624 Router. with 4 port switch.

Laptop 1:. D-Link DWL-G650 Wireless Card.
Laptop 2: Intel ProSet/Wireless 2915ABG built inl Wireless Card

I also have another system (Laptop 3) wired to the Network

All systems running WinXP Pro SP 2 with all latest updates.

When I disable all security on the router and all wireless Laptops the whole
network works fine. Full Internet access and LAN access all round.

However when I set up security on the router and Laptops as

WPA-PSK problems start to arise with Laptop 2.

When the settings are as above then Laptop 1 can see Laptop 1 and Laptop 2
and Laptop 3 in My Network Places. However when Laptop 1 tries to access
Laptop 2 it gets the message that Laptop 2 is not available etc....

Laptop 2 only sees itself in My Network Places and therefore cannot access
shared resources on Laptop 2 or Laptop 3. It can however access Laptop 1 and
Laptop 3 by UNC names such as \\Laptop 1\data etc.It can also access shares
on Laptop 1 and 3 via IP address e.g. \\192.168.0.x\data

Both wireless Laptops still have full Internet access with WPA-PSK TKIP

Laptop 3, wired to the Network has no issues between it and Laptop 1 when
WPA-PSK is enabled on both wireless Laptops.. However Laptop 2 has the same
issues with Laptop 3 as it does with Laptop 1.

I have tried everything under the sun to sort this out but no avail. I need
to get it sorted since Laptop 3 is my backup machine and does scheduled
backups of the data on Laptop 1 and 2 and so must be able to access network
shares on Laptop 2.

I am at loss to find the cause of the problem. I don't know it it's a OS
issue, a hardware issue between Intel Proset/wireless card and D-Link DI-624
router or what???????

And I really do not want to run an unsecured wireless network.

Suggestions greatly appreciated.

Marek Gold

rwig rwig is offline
Junior Member

I'm having the same issue? Have you resolved anything yet?