Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Datagrid Control > "Custom" Paging

"Custom" Paging

George Durzi

I'm looking to implement this paging for a list of clients. Instead of
paging with page numbers, or < and >. I want to provide A through Z for the
first letter of the last name of the client.

Hitting B for example, will give me the list of all clients with a last name
starting with B

Has this been done? Can anyone point me to an example?

Many thanks

Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP]

Hi George,

Check this out?

Letter/Alphanumeric Based Paging in ASP.NET
By Joseph S. Keller

http://www.codeproject.com/aspnet/LetterBasedPaging.asp

--

Important: Patch Windows *beyond* Blaster.
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec...n/MS03-039.asp

"George Durzi" <gdurzi@nospam_hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
I'm looking to implement this paging for a list of clients. Instead of
paging with page numbers, or < and >. I want to provide A through Z for the
first letter of the last name of the client.

Hitting B for example, will give me the list of all clients with a last name
starting with B

Has this been done? Can anyone point me to an example?

Many thanks

George Durzi

Thank you Ken!

"Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi George,
>
> Check this out?
>
> Letter/Alphanumeric Based Paging in ASP.NET
> By Joseph S. Keller
>
> http://www.codeproject.com/aspnet/LetterBasedPaging.asp
>

> --
>
> Important: Patch Windows *beyond* Blaster.
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec...n/MS03-039.asp
>

> "George Durzi" <gdurzi@nospam_hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm looking to implement this paging for a list of clients. Instead of
> paging with page numbers, or < and >. I want to provide A through Z for

the
> first letter of the last name of the client.
>
> Hitting B for example, will give me the list of all clients with a last

name
> starting with B
>
> Has this been done? Can anyone point me to an example?
>
> Many thanks

Alan Corbett \(.NET MVP\)

What you're asking for is non-trivial, but can be done by extending the
control and overriding the OnItemCreated method -- the problem is, when you
get the e.ItemType.Pager (the property sent in the OnItemCreated method),
you have to remove all the controls (the page numbers are LinkButtons, by
the way) and add your own...