Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Datagrid Control > Master Detail Web Form Challenge

Master Detail Web Form Challenge

Gary Brower

Hi,
I am using VB.Net to create an ASP web form. My goal is to create a
master/detail web form that allows users to create new master and detail
records. For example the form would have header that would have fields for:
Customer XXXXX
CustomerAddress XXXXX
CustomerEtc... XXXXX

Then there would be a data grid that would allow the user to enter order
information.
ItemOrdered QuantityOrdered Price Etc
XXXXX XXXXX XXX XXXXX
XXXXX XXXXX XXX XXXXX

The goal is that the user would enter customer information once, then enter
many lines of order information, then press send to update the master and
detail record at the database.

I thought I could find a quick example and knock this out quick, but after
extensive looking I have not been able to find an answer. If anyone could
tell me how this can be done (either the way I have envisioned or perhaps by
recommending a better way), I would be most appreciative.

Cheers,
Gary Brower

Saravana

Check out this two article, this would help you to do this.
http://www.microsoft.com/india/msdn/...0DataGrid.aspx
and
http://www.microsoft.com/india/msdn/...rQuestions.asp

Saravana
Microsoft India Community Star,MC**
www.extremeexperts.com

"Gary Brower" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:uYaQ#(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
> I am using VB.Net to create an ASP web form. My goal is to create a
> master/detail web form that allows users to create new master and detail
> records. For example the form would have header that would have fields

for:
> Customer XXXXX
> CustomerAddress XXXXX
> CustomerEtc... XXXXX
>
> Then there would be a data grid that would allow the user to enter order
> information.
> ItemOrdered QuantityOrdered Price Etc
> XXXXX XXXXX XXX XXXXX
> XXXXX XXXXX XXX XXXXX
>
> The goal is that the user would enter customer information once, then

enter
> many lines of order information, then press send to update the master and
> detail record at the database.
>
> I thought I could find a quick example and knock this out quick, but after
> extensive looking I have not been able to find an answer. If anyone could
> tell me how this can be done (either the way I have envisioned or perhaps

by
> recommending a better way), I would be most appreciative.
>
> Cheers,
> Gary Brower

Gary Brower

The first article is basically what I am trying to do, except that I need
only one master record (not two data grids) and I need to make the whole
thing editable. For example, the user can enter one master record and many
detail records and save the whole thing in one click.

Thanks for your help.
Gary Brower

"Saravana" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Check out this two article, this would help you to do this.

http://www.microsoft.com/india/msdn/...0DataGrid.aspx
> and

http://www.microsoft.com/india/msdn/...rQuestions.asp

> Saravana
> Microsoft India Community Star,MC**
> www.extremeexperts.com
>

> "Gary Brower" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:uYaQ#(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi,
> > I am using VB.Net to create an ASP web form. My goal is to create a
> > master/detail web form that allows users to create new master and detail
> > records. For example the form would have header that would have fields

> for:
> > Customer XXXXX
> > CustomerAddress XXXXX
> > CustomerEtc... XXXXX
> >
> > Then there would be a data grid that would allow the user to enter order
> > information.
> > ItemOrdered QuantityOrdered Price Etc
> > XXXXX XXXXX XXX XXXXX
> > XXXXX XXXXX XXX XXXXX
> >
> > The goal is that the user would enter customer information once, then

> enter
> > many lines of order information, then press send to update the master

and
> > detail record at the database.
> >
> > I thought I could find a quick example and knock this out quick, but

after
> > extensive looking I have not been able to find an answer. If anyone

could
> > tell me how this can be done (either the way I have envisioned or

perhaps
> by
> > recommending a better way), I would be most appreciative.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Gary Brower

Saravana

In the second article, there is a section called "Editing and Inserting
Multiple Rows at Once". Using that concept you can make your datagrid fully
editable. Get back if you want more detail.

--
Saravana
Microsoft India Community Star,MC**
www.extremeexperts.com

"Gary Brower" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> The first article is basically what I am trying to do, except that I need
> only one master record (not two data grids) and I need to make the whole
> thing editable. For example, the user can enter one master record and

many
> detail records and save the whole thing in one click.
>
> Thanks for your help.
> Gary Brower
>

> "Saravana" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Check out this two article, this would help you to do this.

http://www.microsoft.com/india/msdn/...0DataGrid.aspx
> > and

http://www.microsoft.com/india/msdn/...rQuestions.asp

> > --
> > Saravana
> > Microsoft India Community Star,MC**
> > www.extremeexperts.com
> >

> > "Gary Brower" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:uYaQ#(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Hi,
> > > I am using VB.Net to create an ASP web form. My goal is to create a
> > > master/detail web form that allows users to create new master and

detail
> > > records. For example the form would have header that would have

fields
> > for:
> > > Customer XXXXX
> > > CustomerAddress XXXXX
> > > CustomerEtc... XXXXX
> > >
> > > Then there would be a data grid that would allow the user to enter

order
> > > information.
> > > ItemOrdered QuantityOrdered Price Etc
> > > XXXXX XXXXX XXX XXXXX
> > > XXXXX XXXXX XXX XXXXX
> > >
> > > The goal is that the user would enter customer information once, then

> > enter
> > > many lines of order information, then press send to update the master

> and
> > > detail record at the database.
> > >
> > > I thought I could find a quick example and knock this out quick, but

> after
> > > extensive looking I have not been able to find an answer. If anyone

> could
> > > tell me how this can be done (either the way I have envisioned or

> perhaps
> > by
> > > recommending a better way), I would be most appreciative.
> > >
> > > Cheers,
> > > Gary Brower

Gary Brower

Thank you for your help. These were great articles.