Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Sesson_End in Global.asax

Sesson_End in Global.asax

Alex Smotritsky

Session_End doesn't seem to get fired when a user closes their browser
as I thought it would. Since this seems to be the case, how do I execute
code that I want executed when a user closes the browser?

Andrew de la Harpe

The session end event is not linked to a user closing their browser.
The session end event occurs when the session timer elapses.
You could use some client side code that fires on the window.close event but
you can never be sure that this is going to work.
I think you should re-think you problem. What it is you are trying to
achieve?

"Alex Smotritsky" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Session_End doesn't seem to get fired when a user closes their browser
> as I thought it would. Since this seems to be the case, how do I execute
> code that I want executed when a user closes the browser?

Alex Smotritsky

A database developer I'm working with wants me to call one of his stored
procedures when a session ends for user tracking/logging purposes.

Kevin Spencer

What are the "tracking/logging purposes?" The reason I ask is that it may
not be necessary to run the SP when the browser closes. It may indeed be
acceptable to run them when the Session ends, depending upon the specific
requirements.

--
HTH,
Kevin Spencer

"Alex Smotritsky" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> A database developer I'm working with wants me to call one of his stored
> procedures when a session ends for user tracking/logging purposes.

Andrew de la Harpe

Ok but this doesn't really explain what you or the DBA are trying to achieve
so it's hard to help.
"Alex Smotritsky" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> A database developer I'm working with wants me to call one of his stored
> procedures when a session ends for user tracking/logging purposes.

Alex Smotritsky

If I understand correctly, what you're getting at is that in InProc
sessionState mode, some number of minutes (timeout or less) after the
user closes the browser the Session_End event in Global.asax will be
fired so I can run some code then and there?

Alex Smotritsky

i'm looking for help at a more general level. inproc mode supports
session_end. i want to know if session_end will always get fired when
the session time ends even if a user closes their browser or goes to
another website.