Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Datagrid Control > Too much data in DataGrid when page refreshes

Too much data in DataGrid when page refreshes

Shannon Cayze

Hello all,

I'm new to web development and ASP.Net and I'm sure this is a pretty
fundamental question. I've performed a query that returns about 70,000
records and have put this data in a DataGrid. Now, if the user does
something requiring a refresh of the page, I get a page cannot be
displayed message because it was unavailable. However, if I perform a
query that only returns 10,000 records, the refresh works fine. Is
there any way that on the client I can clear the DataGrid before it is
posted to the server? Also, are there any better ways of handling this
scenario?

Thanks in advance,
Shannon

Naveen K Kohli

Turn ViewState off for the Grid. That is the recommended way to handle this
issue.

--
Naveen K Kohli
http://www.netomatix.com
"Shannon Cayze" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Hello all,
>
> I'm new to web development and ASP.Net and I'm sure this is a pretty
> fundamental question. I've performed a query that returns about 70,000
> records and have put this data in a DataGrid. Now, if the user does
> something requiring a refresh of the page, I get a page cannot be
> displayed message because it was unavailable. However, if I perform a
> query that only returns 10,000 records, the refresh works fine. Is
> there any way that on the client I can clear the DataGrid before it is
> posted to the server? Also, are there any better ways of handling this
> scenario?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Shannon

Saravana

It is not recommended to fetch all the records together, instead you can go
for paging. For more details about paging in datagrid, refer my article
http://www.microsoft.com/india/msdn/...ebServerContro
l.aspx

If you are not going for paging and If your grid is going to be only
readonly, then you can disable viewstate for your datagrid.

HTH
Saravana
Microsoft India Community Star,
MCAD,SE,SD,DBA.