Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Building Controls > Tpyesystem problem with ASP.NET UserControl.

Tpyesystem problem with ASP.NET UserControl.

Michael Lierheimer

Hallo.

After migration from ASP1.0 to ASP 2.0 I have the following problem. The
migrated code does not compile. I get an error: "Cannot implicitly convert
type 'NetView.WebUI.ctlSubDevice' to 'ASP.distributor_ctlsubdevice_ascx'.
An explicit conversion exists ...."

The line in the code behind file is:
ctlSubDevice = (NetView.WebUI.ctlSubDevice) this.FindControl("ctlSubDevice");
This code it worked in ASP.NET 1.0. An analysis of the problem showed that
the type ot the ctlSubDevice, which is NetView.WebUI.ctlSubDevice, was
implict convert to ASP.distributor_ctlsubdevice_ascx. So the cast fails.

In the aspx file, the control is registered with:
<%@ Reference Control="~/distributor/ctlsubdevice.ascx" %>
<%@ Register TagPrefix="uc1" TagName="ctlSubDevice" Src="ctlSubDevice.ascx" %>

Does anybody has a solution for this problem, or did I missed something

Yours
Michael

Nathaniel Greene

What is the declaration for ctlSubDevice? Did you put it in a namespace?
From the looks of it it seems like it is in it's own namespace and not the
namespace that you gave it.
all controls are by default in the ASP namespace when no namespace is
provided.

I'd check to make sure that the namespace is set and that the .ascx maps to
the proper .ascx.cs . This link may have been broken and it may have created
a default file.

Hope this helps.

"Michael Lierheimer" wrote:

> Hallo.
>
> After migration from ASP1.0 to ASP 2.0 I have the following problem. The
> migrated code does not compile. I get an error: "Cannot implicitly convert
> type 'NetView.WebUI.ctlSubDevice' to 'ASP.distributor_ctlsubdevice_ascx'.
> An explicit conversion exists ...."
>
> The line in the code behind file is:
> ctlSubDevice = (NetView.WebUI.ctlSubDevice) this.FindControl("ctlSubDevice");
> This code it worked in ASP.NET 1.0. An analysis of the problem showed that
> the type ot the ctlSubDevice, which is NetView.WebUI.ctlSubDevice, was
> implict convert to ASP.distributor_ctlsubdevice_ascx. So the cast fails.
>
> In the aspx file, the control is registered with:
> <%@ Reference Control="~/distributor/ctlsubdevice.ascx" %>
> <%@ Register TagPrefix="uc1" TagName="ctlSubDevice" Src="ctlSubDevice.ascx" %>
>
> Does anybody has a solution for this problem, or did I missed something
>
> Yours
> Michael

Michael Lierheimer

Hallo.

Thanks for your help, but we use the Namespace "NetView.WebUi" for all of
our controls. Below is the definition of the control.

Definition of Namespace and Class in distributor\ctlSubDevice.ascx.cs:
namespace NetView.WebUI
{
using System;
using ....
using System.Drawing;

public partial class ctlSubDevice : System.Web.UI.UserControl
{ ....

Control definition in distristributor\ctlSubDevice.ascx:
<%@ Control Language="c#" Inherits="NetView.WebUI.ctlSubDevice"
CodeFile="ctlSubDevice.ascx.cs" %>

Yours
Michael Lierheimer
MCSD, MCSD.NET, MCPD EA

Mark Fitzpatrick

Michael,
What is the actual ID of the control. ctlSubDevice is the tagname
suchas <uc1:ctlSubDevice runat="server"... but is this the same as the id
assigned to the control? Often, when a control is dragged onto the designer
it will name the control to match the tagname, but add a 1 such as
ctlSubDevice1. So your tag may look like <uc1:ctlSubDevice
Id="ctlSubDevice1" runat="server"></uc1ctlSubDevice> so the name of the
control is actually ctlSubDevice.

You don't need to do any casting or use findcontrol at all. In the
codebehind just create a protected variable of the same name as the
control's id.

protected NetView.WebUI.ctlSubDevice ctlSubDevice1;

--

Hope this helps,
Mark Fitzpatrick

"Michael Lierheimer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...