Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Building Controls > Object reference error in UserControl's Load event

Object reference error in UserControl's Load event

Nathan Sokalski

I have a UserControl that I declare programmatically as follows:

Dim userctrl as New rightside_portal()

The codebehind file for this UserControl looks like the following:

Partial Public Class rightside_portal : Inherits System.Web.UI.UserControl

Handles Me.Load

Const renewurl As String = "http://www.renewingsite.com/"

Me.lblExpiresOn.Text = String.Format("IMPORTANT<br/>Your account is set to
expire {0}. To renew your membership, please ", "EXPIRATIONDATE")

Me.lnkRenew.NavigateUrl = renewurl

Me.lnkSaveToday.NavigateUrl = renewurl

End Sub

End Class

However, I receive the following error when I run the application:

Server Error in '/' Application.

to an instance of an object.

Source Error:

Stack Trace:

object.]
AFBE.rightside_portal.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) +59
includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +1061

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.42; ASP.NET
Version:2.0.50727.210

I am pretty sure the problem has something to do with the fact that I am
declaring the UserControl in my codebehind rather than my *.aspx file, but I
am not quite sure what I need to do differently. If anyone can help me, I
would appreciate it. Thanks.
--
Nathan Sokalski
http://www.nathansokalski.com/

Karl Seguin

you can't create a "new UserContorl();"

you need to use Page.LoadControl("~/controls/test.ascx");

Using "new" creates a new instance of the class, but doesn't instanticate
the aspx class. therefore lblExpires is never created and you end up with a
null reference.

Karl

--
http://www.openmymind.net/