Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Building Controls > Control deployment question

Control deployment question

Griff

Hi - complete newbie question, so please bear with me...

With classic ASP, I could have a folder containing "common code" that was
accessed by ALL the different websites on my server. As the "common code"
was improved, I would create a new folder for each upgrade (v1.0, v2.0, v3.0
etc) and simply change the virtual directory mapping in each web site as I
wanted to upgrade the sites.

With ASP.NET 2.0, I envisage writing a set of compiled n-tier components.
Again, I'd want these to be common to all the web sites on my server and
again, I'd like to be able to follow a similar upgrade path. Is it possible
to follow the Classic ASP example by creating a new folder and simply
changing the virtual directory over, or is this something that is controlled
by the web.config file? What's the most sensible way of achieving this?

Thanks in advance.

Griff

PS - obviously the interfaces would have to remain constant so as to not
have to change the actual web sites themselves...