Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Building Controls > Posting cookie

Posting cookie

Afton Wynona

Hi.
I'm looking to post an http cookie on a sql backend.
I know I've read about this before, but the solution stumps me.
I've tried the menu control, I even bought one for 400 dollars, but I still
can't find the answer.
It seems like there is a web cast that I saw that showed how to post a
request and re-process it on the same round trip.
Anyway, I'm creating a time-tracker program. I have a fleet of 250 taxis. I
was just hired, and I guess I may have padded my resume, becuase this stuff
may be beyond me. I can't afford to lose this job too. Anyway, so the point
of all this is to pull each driver from a list of possible taxis. These can
be taxis we own, or taxis we are going to own. Once I pull each taxi driver,
I will assign him a profile or a cookie or something. This much I am certain
of. After that I will probably assign a list of possible streets and after
that I will sort them by cell phone number. Each cell phone will get a
cookie too. What I'm not sure of is whether a user control is valid with a
cookie. My boss wants me to talk to some programming consultants this
morning, and honestly, I coudn't answer that question.
I'm just going to go in there and go headstrong with my theory that each cab
will get a cookie. I think that is called the postback theory.
There are other cookies, like a color cookie, and a missing driver cookie.
Anyway that's why I need to post the cookie on the backend, because these
consultants are going to ask about it. Now my wife is awake and she is going
to worry if she sees me up all night studying. Now where does web two-zero
fit in. I need an antenna cookie too.
Any help would help.

Brennan Stehling

You may be starting out with too many assumptions which are not backed
with a proper of the technologies. You seem to think you can us a
cookie for everything. What you really need to do is identify people
or things (taxis, phones) with a ID and then associate profile
properties and prefereces to those identities.

Fortunately understanding what you need to know has been documented
very well here...

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/a23c40d6.aspx

I also wrote up some comments recently about managing data for
Profiles.

http://brennan.offwhite.net/blog/200...stom-profiles/

Do not concern yourself with cookies. The ASP.NET 2.0 internals will
handle that for you as the documentation will explain.

Brennan Stehling

Afton Wynona wrote:
> Hi.
> I'm looking to post an http cookie on a sql backend.
> I know I've read about this before, but the solution stumps me.
> I've tried the menu control, I even bought one for 400 dollars, but I still
> can't find the answer.
> It seems like there is a web cast that I saw that showed how to post a
> request and re-process it on the same round trip.
> Anyway, I'm creating a time-tracker program. I have a fleet of 250 taxis. I
> was just hired, and I guess I may have padded my resume, becuase this stuff
> may be beyond me. I can't afford to lose this job too. Anyway, so the point
> of all this is to pull each driver from a list of possible taxis. These can
> be taxis we own, or taxis we are going to own. Once I pull each taxi driver,
> I will assign him a profile or a cookie or something. This much I am certain
> of. After that I will probably assign a list of possible streets and after
> that I will sort them by cell phone number. Each cell phone will get a
> cookie too. What I'm not sure of is whether a user control is valid with a
> cookie. My boss wants me to talk to some programming consultants this
> morning, and honestly, I coudn't answer that question.
> I'm just going to go in there and go headstrong with my theory that each cab
> will get a cookie. I think that is called the postback theory.
> There are other cookies, like a color cookie, and a missing driver cookie.
> Anyway that's why I need to post the cookie on the backend, because these
> consultants are going to ask about it. Now my wife is awake and she is going
> to worry if she sees me up all night studying. Now where does web two-zero
> fit in. I need an antenna cookie too.
> Any help would help.

Afton Wynona

Thanks, But I don;t understand a think you said.
Do you need a cookie?

Fortunately everyone at work was sick today from spinach.

Anyway. I did a lot fo cookie thinking, and I am certain that if i can just
spell out each cookie on the backend it will produce a more robuste database
for the front end.

Pleae help.
God. Please help.

Brennan Stehling

You just need to read that documentation I linked to in the previous
email. Thinking about cookies is thinking it about it at the wrong
level. You may as well be concerned about the color of the ethernet
cable the users have. The ASP.NET framework works on top of the
communication layer so you can simply manage profiles with the
Membership and Profile provider. It is really is quite easy to do once
you have read up on it.

Brennan Stehling

Afton Wynona wrote:
> Thanks, But I don;t understand a think you said.
> Do you need a cookie?
>
> Fortunately everyone at work was sick today from spinach.
>
> Anyway. I did a lot fo cookie thinking, and I am certain that if i can just
> spell out each cookie on the backend it will produce a more robuste database
> for the front end.
>
> Pleae help.
> God. Please help.

JP.Gantlin