Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > System.Diagnostics.Debug.WriteLine

System.Diagnostics.Debug.WriteLine

A.M

Hi,

If I use System.Diagnostics.Debug.WriteLine in a asp.net application, where
does the output go?
Is there any trace monitor application thar shows me the trace output?

Thanks,
Allan

TE

Hello,

maybe check SysInternals - they have a tool to display
debug infos of applications.
otherwise check TraceHandlers.

regards

tom

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Allan,

From your description, you're wondering where does the output from the
System.Diagnostics.Debug.
WriteLine go ?

As far as I know, the System.Diagnostics.Debug has a property called
"Listeners"which mantain the collection of listeners that is monitoring the
debug output. By default, there is a default listner "DefaultTraceListener"
in the collection. We can define our custom Listeners which derived from
the "TraceListener" Abstract class and add their instances into the
Debug.Listeners collection so that we can redirect the Ouput to whatever we
want. For detailed info you may view the following reference in MSDN:

#Debug.Listeners Property
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en...DiagnosticsDeb
ugClassListenersTopic.asp?frame=true

In addition, in ASP.NET, you may also use the "Trace" feature which can
also log many trace info. You can use Trace.Write .. method within code
line to log some infos and which can be view in page level or application
level. For detailed on Trace, here are some reference in MSDN:

#ASP.NET Trace
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en...efunctionality
..asp?frame=true

Regards,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

Get Preview at ASP.NET whidbey

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Allan,

Have you had a chance to check out the suggestions in my last reply or have
you got any further ideas on this issue? If you have anything unclear or if
there're anything else we can help, please feel free to post here. Thanks.

Regards,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

Get Preview at ASP.NET whidbey

A.M

Thank you for follow-up.

I checked resources you refered me. They are helpfull.

I was expectiong that I could find a 3rd party debug listenner to record all
debug outputs. It seems that there is not any. mybe it is not quite usefull
in practical world.

Thanks,
Ali

news:(E-Mail Removed)...