Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Building Controls > Custom controls / Toolbox / Visual studio 2005

Custom controls / Toolbox / Visual studio 2005

Nick Stansbury

Hi,

Recently upgraded to VS 2005 from 2003. Started rebuilding an asp.net app
from scratch. Not using projects (not sure at this point whether I like or
hate this). I've finished redeveloping all of our custom controls (see below
for the declareation). Our custom controls are in .vb files in the App_code
directory, along with all our other classes not in a control project or
anything like that.

I can't seem to find a way to add our custom controls to the toolbox. I've
tried add/remove items, but as there isn't a DLL to navigate to, I can't add
them that way. How do I do it?

Also - people keep talking about user controls *automatically* being added
into a "My User Controls" section of the toolbox. This isn't happening
either.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Nick

Example custom control:

<Designer(GetType(MyNamespace.MyDesigner))> _
Public Class ThreadedDropDownList
Inherits WebControl
Implements INamingContainer

End Class

ElCapitan

as to my knowledge you need to first add the object tag in the html
body section

<object id="simpleControl1"
classid="WindowsControlLibrary1.dll#Microsoft.Samp les.WinForms.Cs.UserControl1.UserControl1"
height="300" width="300" VIEWASTEXT><param name="Text" value="Simple
Control">
</object>

and stick the dll in the root directory (anywhere but the bin
directory),

now this is what i have read in hundreds of places, i just cant seem to
make it work in vb.net only in c#, good luck and let us know if this
works

Eliseo

CaffieneRush@gmail.com

Your dlls should be stored in your application web root directory's bin
directory NOT the application project directory - they should be
different.
E.g. c:\Inetpub\wwwroot\MyApplication\bin\MyApplication .dll